Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question for all you elk and mule deer hunters >

question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

Old 06-15-2005, 08:42 AM

Default RE: question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

ELKINMTCWB - damn man 80 yards ? Why not 100 yards ? 120 yards ?

you modern day compound shooting bowhunters shoot farther than I do with a muzzleloader
Old 06-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to say IMO 60-80 tard shots are just to far, I don't care what your skill level and equipment are. To many varibles.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:59 PM

gutshot - a very few people can take - and make - those kind of shots with real bows, I agree
Old 06-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Cougar - where you going ?
Data, units 25-26 opening week in Colorado. Ijust turned51 and if I am ever going to go onan elkhunt I better go now. My mind says I am 21 but my body keeps telling me otherwise.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:06 AM
Typical Buck

Datamax
I dont even want to tell you how far I shoot deer with my xbow. One thing I can say is I do not over extend my shooting. I will only shoot at a distance I can kill VERY well at and no more.I allso shoot my STICK bow 40 yards. Well more than any animal I have shot with it. So what is the big deal if I shoot mu safari out to 80 yards than deside how far to kill with it. I what distance I shoot in the yard only tells my how far I will shoot in the feild.As I stated I shot ONE animal over 25 yards in my 17 years killing with many difrant bows.Now how you think I shoot long with my old mity compound I do not get.

And if you cant shoot your cap and ball 80 yards you should stay at home. I shoot a home made slick bore.I do not have a problem shooting 80 yards any day.I allso have 4 more caps that will do WAY better than my slick.I do not own any in lines nor do I shoot sabits.

And I do beleave I could shoot at my targets at 100 yards. I jumped up in bow for the reason I did not feel good shooting any animals over 25 yards with a bow. Now I am pushing a 29 1/2'' at 550 gr at the speed of297 with 94#. Now for the 1st time I beleve if I do hit a twig of miss my mark and hit a bone I will still get a pass though and extra blood trail.For this reason I MAY [not sure yet ] extend my range some on big game. AS I all ready stated this will depend on my arrow flight with blades on.