Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question for all you elk and mule deer hunters >

question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

Old 06-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

There is some good advice here. Try for 20 and under, but be ready to know your limits when needed. If you are limited to 30-40 yards, or even 20 for that matter, you still stand a good chance at getting an animal. I have never shot an animal over 20 yrds with my bow, but I have been with and witnessed a few guys take animals up to 50 yards. The animal that poses the longest yardage in my opinion is late season mule deer. You usually find yourself being watched be a large group of does, while you are trying to get the buck that is constantly on the move tending them. I have got right up on early season mule deer and took one at 10 yards. He didn't even know that I was there. For the most part though, long range shooting is not required out west. Knowing the animal that you hunt will play a far bigger role in a successful harvest than will long range shooting. Every animal has its weakness, if you learn their weaknesses, you will put meat in the freezer more often than not.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it' obvious that to paint "out west" with one stroke of a broad brush is a dangerous thing to do. BUT I can tell you that the 8,000 acre ranch that I hunt mule deer and antelope on is WIDE open. NO trees, the tallest cover is about 18" tall yucca and it is spotty at best. There is more cactus than there is yucca! The grass is buffalo grass and gets about 4" tall at best. The landownder doesn't allow pits around his wind mills, which usually is the only water source, and the one time I left my blind set up over night, I found it ruined by his cattle the next morning.
In three years I have released one arrow. I connected on a 170" mulie. Other than that I have had so many spot and stalks fail on antelope and mulie, that I some times just have to laugh at myself.
The last two years, been trying to decoy antelope. It looks like it works on TV, but it hasn't really worked for me yet!!
I'm sure there are places "out west" where spot and stalk would lead to more close range shooting and calling is an option, on elk for instance. I know there are places that a tree stand works and obviously there are lots of places where pit blinds are allowed. So we need to be careful when give advice about what to expect "out west". The terrain can vary as much as the diffence between Britney Spears and Hillary Clinton!!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 AM

I just gotta throw this in ........... compounds are responsible for the 50-70 yard shooting and beyond. Because the modern high tech equipment allows for guys to shoot accurately at long distances, theres a perceotion that you just cannot get close to animals bowhunting and MUST take longer shots.

Thats a wives tale.

Howler - what can I say ? Thats why they call it bowhunting. Its not suppose to be easy. I've had some success decoying antleope as far as getting them to come in ......... never did shoot one with a bow though.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

not to be a total peckerweed, but even though i do believe hunters should get as close as possible and stay within their limits, the whole "compounds are responsible" this probably isnt entirely true. Fred Bear shot animals at 70 yards and beyond all the time. dont think he was shooting a compound.

i just had to say it, guys i do agree with ya, but that is a valid point too.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Data: What is it with you and the compounds. I've seen you blame them for everything from th Civil War to the Kennedy Assasination.
I haven't been lucky enough to hunt out west but I find it hard to beleive that these animals cannot be brought into closer than 70 yards. I think that sometimes a 70 yard shot is taken because it's the first shot opportunity not the only shot opportunity. JMHO
Old 06-14-2005, 02:27 PM

huntnmuleys that is true, Fred did take those shots and he missed a lot too. Today's bowhunting is ......... different than it use to be.

gutshot Its true you know. They found, on thegrassy knoll , a compound, aluminum arrows and at that time, banned Pod's

But you say you've hunted out west .......... and you agree a person should be able to get within "bow range" - right ? Then why do guys right here advocate and swear up and down that you gotta take long shots out west ?

because the equipment they use ALLOWS them too. Imagine a day where the modern compounds shoot 450 FPS, and 120 yards is not unreasonable with the pin point accuracy and technology. Come that day, people - bowhunters - will be amazed at guys actually getting within 30 yards before shooting.

Its not as far fetched as you might think it is
Old 06-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

the whole "compounds are responsible" this probably isnt entirely true. Fred Bear shot animals at 70 yards and beyond all the time. dont think he was shooting a compound.
That's a good point. I think I remember hearing about Fred Bear killing a Tiger at 110 yards.

Data: What is it with you and the compounds. I've seen you blame them for everything from th Civil War to the Kennedy Assasination.
rotfl, that's hilarious
Old 06-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Lets face it, the Bowhunters of Old were HUNTERS first, not anything less nor anything more. They were out trying to kill animals and if they wounded, missed or lost an animals, that was hunting. Different time, differnt place and those boyws like Bear and Hill etc etc could flat shoot unlike anyone on this message board can today IMO. They are Bowhunting Icons for a reason - because those men had a God given talent and honed it and used it daily. That part of their bowhunting we could all learn from IMO
Old 06-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

I think people are as good as they want to be . Ifhuntersshoot as many arrows as Hill and Bearhave more hunters could make those shots too.(if they choose)Its what you want to put in to it .

[/align]
Old 06-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

I have only killed one antilope at long range 68 yards. [pushed by peer presher :} All the reast of my big game have been killed under 24 yards.I will how ever jump up in yardage when I head to the breaks this year.I am shooting a mathews safari at 94# right at the moment. Should be 100 at sept 4th.

I am not sure how far I will push my shooting yet. I will know after I start shooting with my blades on.I do know I will not over extend my range.I am hoping to shoot very good out to 80 yards.I just am not sure how far I will shoot at elk :}

It depends on what your tarain is like on how close you can get.Allso depends on how the winds move.Wind in the foot hills and moutains is realy weard.

Quick Reply: question for all you elk and mule deer hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.