Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Build me a hunting arrow >

Build me a hunting arrow

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Build me a hunting arrow

Old 03-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Build me a hunting arrow

I need to order a dozen arrows primarily for hunting and a little 3d for preseason practice. I shoot a reflex grizzly(cam and 1/2) set at 65lbs, 27"draw,27" arrows, 100gr tips and a whisker buisquit. I will use 100GR fixed heads likely Montec G5s.
1) which shaft ( GT Hunter or XT )
2) which vanes
3) which nocks ( There seems to be lots of technology here that I'm not familiar with).
Spec me a hunting arrow guys!
Old 03-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Build me a hunting arrow

Between the two you ask about I have no doubt. The XT because of it's better straightness. Epecially with fixed blade heads. Vane? Not me I like 4" feathers. But I am entertaining the thought of the new Bohning FLP 400's---don't know yet. For nocks, what comes with them is OK. Don't quite know if they'll fit but I do like the Carbon Express Slimline nocks.

That's the only thing I like about Carbon Express. I just can't see myself paying American type prices for an arrow made in Korea. Before I get corrected I know you asked about Gold Tips. I'm looking at them, too, in the 22 series for 3D.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:34 AM

I have nothing but praise for the Gold Tip XT's. I currently own a set and I fletched mine with 4" feathers. They work great but the feathers are getting chewed in my Wisker Biscuit. Oh well, I'll just refletch them in a couple of weeks. The nocks that came on them are working just fine for me and I see no need to switch.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

primarily for hunting and a little 3d for preseason practice.
I usually use two different set-up for the two. It's like asking for the same tyres for dirt road and track racing.
My hunting shafts are set-up with the NAP Quik Spin vanes, my 3D shafts are set up with Bohning Blazers.
NAP is now producing the Quik Spin vanes in smaller sizes, but they're not yet available here in Ontario, so I have not been able to try them as yet.
I suspect the smaller NAP Quick Spin will work WELL for something you want to do.
But, if you're thinking about building these arrows now, then I would go with the:-
Gold Tip 'XT Hunter' 5575 fletched with the Bohning Blazer vanes.
Fletch the vanes about 1" away from the nock. Theses vanes are stiff vanes and will work well with the WB.
For even better performance, remove about 1-1/2" from the top end of the shaft first, then use a G5, ASD tool and square the end of the shaft prior to fitting the nocks and inserts, and square the face of the insert also.
If you need any help in doing this, I will be able to help.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to mention---the Gold Tip GT Series nocks (.246) will work just fine, and you have a variety of colors to chose from.
GT .246 inserts for the front of the arrow.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

NAP is now producing the Quik Spin vanes in smaller sizes, but they're not yet available here in Ontario, so I have not been able to try them as yet.
I suspect the smaller NAP Quick Spin will work WELL for something you want to do.
But, if you're thinking about building these arrows now, then I would go with the:-
Gold Tip 'XT Hunter' 5575 fletched with the Bohning Blazer vanes.
Fletch the vanes about 1" away from the nock. Theses vanes are stiff vanes and will work well with the WB.
For even better performance, remove about 1-1/2" from the top end of the shaft first, then use a G5, ASD tool and square the end of the shaft prior to fitting the nocks and inserts, and square the face of the insert also.
If you need any help in doing this, I will be able to help.
Geez ampahunter,
great informtion. Thanks. I hear you work at Brampton Archery, when is a good time to bump into you there?
Old 03-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Terry--We're open Tuesday Thru Friday--6.00 PM to 9:00 PM and on Saturday 10:00 AM to 5.00 PM.
Just let me know when you're coming and I'll make sure I'm there.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:10 AM

ACC 349's
Easy-eye Hot Green Fade Wraps
3 White Blazer vanes
Slick Trick 100's
Thery look great and fly even better!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Terry--We're open Tuesday Thru Friday--6.00 PM to 9:00 PM and on Saturday 10:00 AM to 5.00 PM.
Just let me know when you're coming and I'll make sure I'm there.
AMPA,
Sounds great. I will do exactly that. Thanks.