Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Build my arrow!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Build my arrow!

Ok I am upgrading all my archery equipment for next year. I will be shooting the 09' Diamond Ice Man at 70 lbs and 27.5 in draw. I want to shoot the rage 2 blade expandables and have white wraps on each arrow. I hope this is enough to get your "expert "opinions on arrows and the final weight of the arrow. Blazers or feathers is also up for grabs. Let me hear your thoughts.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:48 PM

Default RE: Build my arrow!

I would not recommend the rage if you are shooting at 70# because they tend to open prematurely out of a fast bow. Go with the Grim Reaper Razor Tip 100 grain if you want an expandable. They are very effective. I like to recommend CX Maximas for shafts to anyone who wants to put the money into it. Maxima Hunters are good, but I like the 3D Selects the best. Then through some three inch feathers on and the correct knock and you're set. They are about 360 grains if you go with the 3D Selects. They will be super consistent, accurate and fast.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 PM

I agree with most of that but I would substitute in an Easton A\C\C shaft.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Not bad.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:08 PM

I may stick with the old faithful fixed blade if premature opening is an issue with expandable out of a fast bow. I like the carbon express maxima 3-D select signature series arrows with 2" blazer vanes. With my draw length and these arrows and 100 gr. head What will the total weight be.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:16 PM

I would also recommend a fixed blade over expandable. Although, the grim reaper does not have that problem and is seriously tough. They test shot them through a steel barrel. Personally, I use the Wasp 4 blade because they shoot exactly like my field points and work every time.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 AM

As far as broadheads....I like to shoot the Montec G5 Stingers. They are replaceable blades so they are cheaper after you buy them the first time and they fly like a dream.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM

The Montec does not have replaceable blade, but the striker does. I have never heard of G5 Montec Stingers, so I am assuming that you are talking about the strikers. If that is the case, I agree with you because I have used them in the past and they have proven very effective. The only problem that I have with them is the price. The G5 broadheads are twice as expensive as the Wasp broadheads, which perform as well or better.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM

Carbon Express Maxima Hunter,350 spine. White wrap, 2 pink and 1 yellow Blazer. Rage 2 blade 100 grain. Finished arrow weight, around360 grains. (speed set up)

Easton ACC 3-49. Same vane, same head. 380-390 grain. (good speed, good KE. Great combination of both.)

Easton 2413 aluminum. Same vane, same head. Around 430 grains. (slower, but great KE and momentum.)

Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 AM

The rage is not a good choice for a fast bow (300 fps+) because they open before they strike the target causing erratic arrow flight.

Quick Reply: Build my arrow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.