Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Switchback or Allegiance? >

Switchback or Allegiance?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Switchback or Allegiance?

Old 01-13-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Switchback or Allegiance?

I am going to buy a new bow soon and am considering the Mathews Switchback or the BowTec Allegiance. I was wondering what bow people out there like more and think is a higher quality bow. So if you have any advice or preferances between not just those specific bows but Mathews compared to Bowtec in general let me know. Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 01:12 PM

Default RE: Switchback or Allegiance?

I saw both bows at the ATA SHow & was impressed with them both. To be honest you won't go wrong with either in my opinion. The new cam system that Bowtech is using is very nice drawing. I was impressed with the overall quality of the new Bowtechs & I think this is the best lineup yet from them. It should be a really good bow!

The Switchback was very nice as well, very smooth & recoil free. Both bows are so good that it would be a hard choices between them. Good luck!

Just buy both & you will have to the 2 hottest bows on the market for 2005!

Old 01-13-2005, 05:16 PM
c j
Typical Buck

IMO, Mathews makes an extremely high quality bow. You just look at it and it's put together well and everything appears to be top-of-the-line. Very few, if any, drawbacks or downside to them.

BowTech, on the other hand, is just flat-out better. j/k (sort of) Seriously, though, in shooting both brands, I thought they were both great. BowTech just felt smoother and seemed to shoot better. I was more impressed with BowTech's "feel". Even shooting my '04 Liberty against the '05 Switchback, I like it just as much. Admittedly, though, part of that may be that I'm very comfortable with my Liberty.

Mathews vs. BowTech, to me, is like a 64 GTO vs. a 64 Olds 4-4-2, or a 69 Charger Daytona vs. 70 Superbird. Very similar, and, to a degree, it comes down to personal preference. Personally, I like both Mathews and BowTech, but I've never cared much for the Hoyts, as their draw doesn't seem as smooth to me. To each his own, though.

Ask around, look around, do some research, etc. But just about everyone will tell you to shoot a bunch of bows and go with what you like best.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

This might help.

[link]http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=902906[/link]
Old 01-15-2005, 06:11 PM

bowtech has a real winner in the allegiance. I am a dual cam shooter, through and through. This bow has the benefits of a dually. shoot it. Matthews makes a good bow, but it is more of the same. Just the mass weight alone of the matthews will kill you. I bet it is over a pound heavier.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:56 PM

Just the mass weight alone of the matthews will kill you. I bet it is over a pound heavier.
Not true;

Allegiance= 4lbs 3 ozs
Switchback= 4.34 lbs
Old 01-15-2005, 08:24 PM

I'm looking to buy a new bow, as well, and shot both of these bows today. Had a real hard time trying to decide, since my last four bows have been the new Mathews for that particular year. Very impressed with both bows and am having a hard time deciding which one to buy. The Bowtech is noticeably faster and stacks early in the draw cycle, as has been discussed on this bbs. The Mathews, imo, drew very smoothly and wasn't as fast. But, fast is relative to me, once the arrow is passing 280fps. Finally, shot both with my eyes closed and just focused on release and how the bow felt. There was some vibration, though slight, with the Bowtech and, absolutely zero vibration with the Mathews. All either bow had on it was a rest. The Bowtech had it's factory installed hush kit and the Mathews had nothing on the string. Still haven't decided, but tend to be leaning toward the Switchback. Man, I wish I could buy both, because they are both high quality bows and would be lots of fun to shoot.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mq man50........

Think of it this way as well.......the Allegiance is quite a bit faster roughly 10-12 fps right out of the box with the same specs, and that's with a full string load of 2 silencers, brass nock set, and 2 Eliminator style buttons.
Strip that down to the bare string or just a nock set and that bow is now probably over 15fps faster.
Now take that roughly 15fps of extra speed and add an extra 45-50 grs to your arrow weight and what do you have? You have a bow shooting the same speed as the Switchback, hitting with quite a bit more KE and now with the extra arrow weight guess what happens to that TINY little bit of vibration?
Yep you guessed it.

Another way to look at the 2 is this.......you could probably turn the Allegiance DOWN 5 lbs or more in draw weight to equal the performance of the Switchback. Then what do you have? You seeing my point?

That high IBo speed with the hush kit installed and those efficient cams don't mean you have to shoot them that light. That extra performance simply gives you more options.
Lighter draw weight for the same performance and feel at a lesser effort, or heavier arrow weight for more punch for the same effort and smoother shot feel.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:44 PM

Matt, those are good points, well taken. I'm going back over to the shop the end of the week and shoot both again. I know it's going to be a hard decision to make.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:09 PM

swamp dawg- they can list the weight at what they want. I have felt the bow. Maybe I should have said it felt as though it were a pound heavier. Whatever the case- it feels heavier. And by the way- Ive said this a lot and most agree.

Quick Reply: Switchback or Allegiance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.