Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 New bows do they copycat each other? >

New bows do they copycat each other?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New bows do they copycat each other?

Old 12-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New bows do they copycat each other?

In the February 2005 issue of Bow&Arrow, Bow Report page 72 they feature the PSE Vengeance. Now to start off I want to state for the record that I have no problems with PSE, I have never owned one but in the past if money wouldn't have been a issue, I for sure would have bought one or two of their bows. Anyway, I have researched them every year since I started bowhunting in 1989. I also have researched other bow manufacturers as well. I do this because for one I like to know which bows are the hottest, best shooting & selling bows on the market. And two, I teach Bowhunter's Education and I like to help my students find the bows they like. I never suggest the manufacturer! I let the students suggest the manufacturer of the bows that they are interested in, then I help them find a good bow that will fit their needs using their own selections. Anyway, back to my point, I have come to expect top of the line products, and new ideas from PSE. Reading about the new PSE Vengeance it appears to me to be a copycat of a Mathews. In this article they promote new features that seem to be taken from Mathews. Example they promote that this bow has "nearly parallel-type limbs" and "built in string dampeners". Now, I am not saying these are bad features but IMO why would an archer want to buy this bow with features that are copied from another manufacturer? I know other manufacturers have done this as well to each other. My question is why does any archer want to but the copy when the origional is the same if not better than the copy? If anybody see this in a different light than I, please fell free to enlighten me with your thoughts. Someone may point out that I myself am buying a new Mathews Switchback and that I am bias towards Mathews. But I am really not, I do like the Mathews, as well as other bows from other manufacturers. The Switchback will be a nice change from my old Martin Fury, bought new in 1997. Also I should add that I have only owned four bows in my 16 years of bowhunting. My first bow was a used Golden Eagle that I hunted with for 2 seasons, until I bought a New Golden Eagle in 1991. My point to all of this is that unlike some archers that buy a new bow every year or every other year, I really research and shoot them all....... then from this research and info I will buy the bow that best suits me and I will shoot it for a long while. After buying this new Switchback there might be a new bow from a different manufacturer that will make the Switchback look like last century technology, but I am the type to just look at it or even shoot it and think dang that would be maybe nice to own. But I also know that my current bow is accurate and deadly in my hands as well. After I kill an animal with a bow it gives me a confedience that can't be broken! Maybe in another 10 years down the road if my Swithback is showing age then I think about getting serious about buying a new bow. Just my 2 cents! What's your opinion?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New bows do they copycat each other?

Well aside from the string supressor thingies I do not see anything that resembles a Mathews at all.

The parallel limbs certainly are not a Mathews idea. Bow Tech had parallel limbs long before Mathews did. Most every single company has at least one bow with parallel limbs and most have a few bows.

Some of the things that Mathews claims to have invented are ideas from many years ago. Like the "solo cam".

You can take any bow made today and you will be able to find at least one thing that resembles something from another bow. There are only so many things a company can do to a compound bow with our having it look like another companies bow.

Hybrid cams... Hoyt? Nope. Darton, but Hoyt marketed it so many people think that Hoyt "invented" this cam system. How many bows made today have some type of "hybrid" cam system?

Remember that before compounds were invented there were only long bows and recurves. That one person had to come up with the idea. How many compound bows are offered today? Every bow is a "copy" of that first compound.

How many bows use Mossy Oak or Real Tree? How many use a single wooden grip or a two piece grip, Bearings, self libricating bushings, machined aluminum risers? I could go on and on.

Basically they all have similarites with other bows but they all have their own things to offer the individual shooter as well.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:52 AM
dws

Default RE: New bows do they copycat each other?

There is only so many parts on a bow. It would be impossible to make one without someone saying something is a copy of something else. They all have a handle they all have a string they all have limbs. When somebody invents a bow without any of those items,I would say that would be pretty original. All the bow companies want to sell more bows than the other guy so they try to make what they think the consumer wants. If they all think we want the same thing they are going to make the same thing. It's the same with any product like cars or televisions.