Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Shafted by Spot Hogg

Old 12-28-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Shafted by Spot Hogg

Just wanted to post a Spot Hogg experience I've been having lately:

Don't misunderstand me: their sights are awesome (probably the best there is) and if you're in the market for a sight - buy a Spot Hogg sight. I use the Hogg-it Hunter and am very happy. Recently I've been using my bow in competitions and instead of shooting bowhunter unlimited had to shoot freestyle unlimited due to the sight wire on the Hogg-it hunter. I thought I'd be clever and buy a Barebones (no level, no wire) sight head from Spot Hogg and interchange this with my Hunter head as and when required. In theory a brilliant idea - in practice dealt with the wrong company.

I enquired to the price of a sight head and was quoted $24 (on my initial email I specified a head to be pinguard and pins). I thought that was reasonable since a new barebones sight cost somewhere $50-59. Imagine my surpise when I was charged (without ever seeing the number) an additional $47 for sight pins. Total cost $61. If I had known this from the beginning I would've rather opted to buy the entire sight new for $50-59. When queried, I was told the $24 was only for the pinguard, which does not include the pins. Still - had I just known this in the beginning! ! ! Spot Hogg has agreed to take the package back and refund me, but this is not really an option since it was already shipped to New Zealand before I found out about the charge. This means I would have to pay for shipping both ways which is $34. I have tried to ask for some discount at least to make some of the pain go away, but my emails have been ignored as of late.

Oh well - great sight, crappy deal Make sure you know what you've been quoted on BEFORE you buy!

Greg
Old 12-29-2004, 03:09 PM

Default RE: Shafted by Spot Hogg

Someone made a mistake in your order, and when you let them know about it they offered to take it back and refund your money, so it seems like they are trying to make it right. Did you ask if they would reimburse you for the shipping of the incorrect part? See if they have an alternate e-mail or phone number you could call and inquire about getting it worked out. It may also take them a little time, I don't know this manufacturer, but a lot of hunting gear is sold fairly "mom and pop", so their level of service may not be as great as a bigger company. You seem to really like their product, so I would give it a little more try before giving it up as a bad deal. Worst case scenario you can dispute the payment with your credit card company. You did not authorize the higher dollar payment, so they should not have a right to that money. You can hold onto their extra part until they provide shipping payment to return it to them. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:56 PM

Some good advice there. Thanks. I put forward the proposal that I'd pay for shipping the package back to them, as long as they'd pay for shipping the incorrect order to me. They refused. They would take it back if I paid for them shipping the wrong order. I am tempted, but this is not viable since the total shipping would cost me $34 - might as well keep what I've got.

I did indeed not authorize them to charge my credit card with the higher payment. I told them to charge me $24 + shipping. That's why I queried it when I saw the charge come through: I thought they hit me for $62 worth of shipping. Instead it was the pins they did not quote me for. I feel bad taking it up with the credit card company since they did send me the product. It isn't like I got nothing. So I can hardly just cancel the payment. I am happy to pay a fair price for it, but somewhere around $69 for a Barebones pinguard and pins is hardly fair. When I asked them how much they charge for the entire sight (including mounting) they said $71. $2 for a mount is not bad....

I intend to chase this a bit harder in the New Year and will post a follow up.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 02-01-2005, 05:52 PM

Some more feedback on this saga:

They didn't want to give me any discount, but agreed to cover half the postage if I send it back. She's on her way back as we speak.....

Pity we couldn't work something out for a few bucks. Now it is a month later and I still have no sight. Just ordered another from an archery dealer and will hopefully get that in 2 weeks or so.....

Cheers,

Greg
Old 02-01-2005, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the update Greg. Sorry you had such a rough time with this.

You should check out my post on "Copper John Trouble". I can't help but reccomend these sights to anyone, especially after they have treated me so well when I had a small problem.

Copper John trouble[8D]
Old 02-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

That outfit won't be around long pulling that kind of krap.[:'(]
Old 02-02-2005, 05:22 PM

That outfit won't be around long pulling that kind of krap.
I don't think Spot-Hogg is going anywere. But I hate to hear stories like this, especially when I was considering buying a hunter hogg-it myself.
[:@]
Old 02-02-2005, 06:26 PM

I agree with you Dawg. I don't think SH is going anywhere - they make a good product. As per my update: I'm actually buying a SH from somewhere else now. Still buying a SH though......

They're good at making stuff, just terrible at handling the direct sales bit. On one of the other forums I read about someone not quite getting what they thought they were buying when they bought some GK rests from SH. At least this was resolved in the end though....

Greg
Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 PM

I have come across this thread, I checked into this issue and have a copy of all of the emails that took place. With further investigation, it appears to be a huge misunderstanding. No one that answers our phones or e-mails tries to slip in any extra charges to our customers. We feel bad there was a misunderstanding, it is never our intention to mislead and we try to do our best to make good on misunderstandings.

We offered to pay for half of the shipping charges that occurred.

We honor what is called a dealer protection program, if I undersell my dealer's or retail distributors such as Bass pro, Cabela's, Lancaster, etc..... then what is there incentive to stock my product. It will always be cheaper to buy my products through one of these outlet's rather than buying direct from me. I'm sure you will find this to be true with all manufactures using distributors and dealers to push/promote their products.

Your incentive to buy from me is that these distributors & dealers don't always make it convenient to all of the sku's/options that we offer so by going through us you may pay more but you get whatever custom/non popular sku that you want.

All of our pin guards use the same pin and turret system, these pins sell for $5.00 each and turrets sell for $5.00 each. So for a full rack of pins no matter what pin guard you are using you are looking at a $50.00 investment (retail from us). These pins are also made out of 6061 aluminum, and have a lifetime warranty. So your paying more $ for pins but they are the strongest pins on the market & honored for the life of the product.

You wanted us to meet you half way with the shipping and we have agreed to this. You noted that you thought this was fair, and that you were going to send it back.

I feel like we agreed to do what you wanted us to do, I'm sorry that you are still not satisfied.

Josh Johnson
Spot~Hogg Archery Products
Owner
Old 02-06-2005, 05:29 PM

Hi Josh - good to see you in the forums btw!

I very much doubt that Spot Hogg makes a living by slipping extra charges in to their customers. Spot Hogg makes a good product - as I mentioned before, I ended up buying the sight somewhere else anyway.

I can agree with you that it was a misunderstanding. These things happen. What I was upset about was the way it was handled by Spot Hogg. Firstly, warning bells came on when I saw the charge come through on my credit card. I had no idea pins were not included and nowhere is this reflected in the correspondence. The only numbers we talked were $24 + shipping. Surely a flag should've come up somewhere in your system and someone could've flicked me an email to see if I was still in at $69?

Fine - this did not happen. And I am fully aware of the dealer protection program (most manufacturers do this) - but should one blindly follow this rule when things go wrong? I just didn't get that 'Spot Hogg will go an extra mile for you' feeling. I got the 'Spot Hogg will not undersell the dealer, no matter what' feeling. Had you offered to go 50/50 with me on the pins I would've probably gone for this - even if this would've cost me $53 vs a complete sight for $59 (at most archery dealers). Instead my score card looks like this:

Greg: -$25 (shipping both ways), no sight. Spot Hogg: 0.

I checked my credit card and Spot Hogg refunded me the full amount for the sight head, but nothing for the shipping as was promised (and even mentioned in your post!). Oh well, I guess just another misunderstanding....

Greg

Quick Reply: Shafted by Spot Hogg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.