Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
starting out and need advice >

starting out and need advice

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

starting out and need advice

Old 08-19-2002, 11:04 AM

Default starting out and need advice

I am just getting started bow hunting and want to select the proper bow for me. I am intent on sticking with it and eventually focusing exclusively on bowhunting rather than using a rifle, so I'd like to get a very good bow now, one that will last, may not need immediate care (timing, etc), and one that I can learn and develop with as well (good for beginner as well as more advanced as I get better). I primarily hunt turkey and whitetail in upstate NY, though may expand to bear soon. I understand single cam is the way to go (please correct me if that's wrong), so I'd like to get the best (or one of the best) single-cams available if you more experienced types think that is advisable. Please let me know your recommendations.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: starting out and need advice

Firstly welcome to the board and to the wonerful world of bow hunting.

With so many good bows from just about all the manufractures it is hard to say got to this or that one.
What might be perfect for me is probably not going to be perfect for you.
I suggest you go to as many pro shops as you can and shoot as many bows as you can.
Then make a short list and go back and shoot the ones on your short list.
You are the only one that will know what feels best for you.
Good luck
Old 08-19-2002, 05:28 PM

Good post Ausie-guy, I agree 100%. Knockemout, don't let other people try to tell you which bow is better, all reputable manufacturers make good, quality bows. Take your time and look at several different makes and models. Try out as many as possible. Take time and think it over and when you have narrowed your choices down, ask some of the guys here that shoots those particular kinds of bows for their opinions. Alot of archers have owned more than one bow so they might be able to give you "their" insight on a few of them.

Bottom line, you're fixing to pay alot of money for a good quality setup, so make sure your mind is made up and there won't be regrets afterwards, even if it means going back to the archery shop time and time again to shoot the bows again and again. Good luck with your endeavors...

GB

Smack 'em where it hurts!
Old 08-19-2002, 08:40 PM

Sounds like good advice. Thanks. Looks like I'll be making many trips to a variety of shops.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Firstly welcome to the board and to the wonerful world of bow hunting.

With so many good bows from just about all the manufractures it is hard to say got to this or that one.
What might be perfect for me is probably not going to be perfect for you.
I suggest you go to as many pro shops as you can and shoot as many bows as you can.
Then make a short list and go back and shoot the ones on your short list.
You are the only one that will know what feels best for you.
Good luck

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>