Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Will be starting to Bow Hunt Need Advice >

Will be starting to Bow Hunt Need Advice

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Will be starting to Bow Hunt Need Advice

Old 11-06-2002, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Will be starting to Bow Hunt Need Advice

Hey everyone, usually I hang out in Deerhunting message board but I wanted to get some advice about purchasing an iexpensive reliable bow. What is a good brand that will not cost me an arm and a leg? What other advice do you have for arrows, poundage of the bow ect...? I will be purchasing one soon, but I know nothing about them and want to do my homework. Thanks,

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 11-06-2002, 10:35 PM

Default RE: Will be starting to Bow Hunt Need Advice

You might post this in the Technical forum as well to get more posts.

There are many bow companies that make great entry level bows that give you a lot of value for your money. PSE and Martin have a good selection of affordable bows but there are other companies as well.

The best advice I can give you is to find a good archery pro shop and talk to the people there. Getting properly fitted with the right draw length is extremely important when you are first starting out. And keep reading and posting on this BBS. There is a lot of great information here.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001
Old 11-09-2002, 11:06 AM

I would recommend a 60 lb. for starters or a 70 and turn it down till you get comfortable. There are some great bows out there. I bought my Parker off the classifieds for half price. What ever you chose, just remember you will have to practice -practice-practice. Bow hunting is not like rifle hunting. I just came back from shooting my rifle and feel I'm ready for the season. Shot my bow year round and sometimes I feel I haven't practiced enough. Don

Old 11-10-2002, 08:53 AM

Starrman,
You need to get to the pro shop and get your draw length measured first thing. It is as important as shoe size is with your shoes.

If your local pro shop carries PSE products, look at the Team Fitzgerald or Deerhunter (different names for the same bow) package. You get a good starter bow, rest, quiver and sights for under $200. Draw weight is a big debating point here but a tuned 50# compound with sharp broadheads will take the largest whitetail you will ever see within 25 yards. Buy a 50-60# range bow and you will be a happy man. The arrows need to be matched to the bow and your draw length so that is secondary. Get a good release, a target and practice until fall.

Also, visit Bob Ragsdale's home page. You will learn all the technical archery stuff you will ever need to know.