Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 HELP ME! I'm starting a hunting club at my highschool and i need some ideas and advice.........HELP! >

HELP ME! I'm starting a hunting club at my highschool and i need some ideas and advice.........HELP!

Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

HELP ME! I'm starting a hunting club at my highschool and i need some ideas and advice.........HELP!

Old 01-22-2004, 03:48 PM

Default HELP ME! I'm starting a hunting club at my highschool and i need some ideas and advice.........HELP!

does ne 1 have GOOD ideas that could help me get the hunting program started at my highschool? i have quite a few students that would like to join the class and i have a list of like 20 ideas about what we can learn about but i dont know what else to do with the program and what to learn. not only about going out and killing but learning how to keep you food plots healthy for the deer and how to choose a good spot to hunt etc.
HELP ME! thanks.( i also want to test their tracking skills, i was thinking about killing a rabbit and going in the back field behind my school and sprinkling blood on on the ground and anywhere a deer could possibly get blood on, and making a student go out one by one and find the animal and recognize where broken twigs and sprinkles of blood are so they can find the rabbit.) do you think ^-- that is a good idea^?
Old 01-22-2004, 03:49 PM

Default RE: HELP ME! I'm starting a hunting club at my highschool and i need some ideas and advice.........HELP!

Here are ideas that i had that we could learn about in the program.

different weapon choices(bow, crossbow, rifle, muzzelloader, shotgun, etc...)

movie clip of hunts(home movies, purchased)

what attracts deer

choosing the best location to hunt

how to tell how mature the deer is

hunting laws

observing and studying deer bones

how to gut and clean a deer properly

how to track a deer

how to recognize deer trails

where deer bed down

invite guest speakers(biologic, game wardens)

hunting recipes

keeping deer lots healthy for your deer

the importance of hunter(without us the pop. would b out of controll etc.)

deer food preferences

deer habits

how big deer can get

gun safety

where to shoot an animal(location on body, depends on species)

uhhhhhhhhh........i think that is all.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:51 PM

Default RE: HELP ME! I'm starting a hunting club at my highschool and i need some ideas and advice.........HELP!

OH! and i also want to teach others about feral hogs too! i am also looking for a place that i could bring the "future class" to so we could all go hunting for like a 2-3 day hunting trip. maybe even an all day thing just to go somewhere and look around for deer/hog trails. if you know of a good place then post you location or just email me.
THANKYOU,
texanyoungbuck
Old 01-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Conservation
Old 01-27-2004, 01:09 PM

great idea....my wife is a high school english teacher and through her i know that there are students into hunting but have no way to get together to talk about it or plan hunts toether, etc......

if i were you i would simply start out with the hunting club idea and then allow the member to aide you in the direction it takes...get the kids together....gather signatures showing that there is a good amount of support for this club on campus...maybe find a teacher or other adult in the community to help out and say so in writing so that the HS administration won't worry about you guys doing anything weird or scary (not that you would but better safe than sorry)....after that it should come together easily and could be expanded into the shooting sport areas with bow or even guns in compitions...email me with some specifics and i will get back to you with any advice that i can give.....
Old 01-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Host of Hosts

I commend you on your desire to start a hunting club at your school. I believe you will encounter some resistence to it , but if you get some assistence from other students with the same interest in the club you'll probably do ok. Michael had some good suggestions. Above all show respect to the game animals you are discussing and don't just talk about the kill. Share the experiences as a whole and people will be more interested in it, and less likely to paint your club in a bad light.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:23 AM

We have a Young Hunters club in our school. Maybe you need to contact Richard Carter at POLYTECH High School. 302-697-3255, He will be glad to exchange ideas.
Hope this helps
Old 02-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

Do an internet search on the KY High School Association. They have partnered with several large bow manugfacturers to introduce bow shooting into high schools. Ky has gone as far as introducing it into the classroom, by licensed teachers, not just as a club sport.

Contact several equipment manufacturers asking for assistance in acquiring materials, not freebees but instructional materials to teach people how to use their products such as Knight and Hale calls, Remington Firearms, Matthews Bows (I believe it is Matthews that is i the KY high schools), Bushnell Optics, Bill Jordan on Camoflauge, ESPN to get the names of the programs on Saturday mornings and write them asking for help.

I guarantee you are not the first high school kid trying to form a hunting club. Another great idea is to ask your local sportsman club, shooting clubs for advice, discount memberships, etc.. This would be a great way to teach the students how to handle weapons properly, you may even get someone at the gun club to teach them basic weapon care, proper safety issues, etc..

Contact your state game and wildlife office asking for assistance. I can guarantee that you will probably get someone from theri office to come in and lecture. They may even offer to teach basic firearms instructions and hunter's basic education for free to your club members.

Type up a form letter, or get a teacher to help you create one. Then obtain, from the internet, publications, etc.., the names and addresses of as many hunting manufacturers from calls to firearms to bow equipment to optics to camo clothing to bass Pro Shops to cabelas to your local gun clubs to your government wildlife offices asking for assistance in establishing the hunt club. Do NOT ask for free merchandise, but do ask for educational materials, copies of lectures, ask if you can schedule a visit from one of their representatives to give a lecture and demonstration. You will want to write their marketing department, Presidents, Vice President, CEO, etc.. any big time officer from the company. This will cost you some money to produce the letters and mail them out, but with a home pc the cost should be relatively cheap.

Whatever you do, DO NOT email them. You want your request to be on paper not electronically. It is far easier to hit the delete button than it is to throw away a letter than has been seen by their secretary. By doing a mass mailing such as this you have a greater chance to receive the help you need.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Matt