Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Double Cam Bows

Old 11-28-2004, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default Double Cam Bows

I am looking at buying a PSE Fire Storm lite and it is a double cam bow and i was wondering how people that have a double cam bow like them I have heard that a double cam bow is hard to keep sighted in. THANKS
Old 11-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Double Cam Bows

What you were hearing is one of those things that used to be. When fastflight material for strings came out it would stretch a lot and continuously. If one cable stretched more than the other your cams would get out of sync. They ahd to be adjusted occassionally. The harder the cam the worse they would perform.

So, along came the single cam that supposedly took care of that problem. Thing is, it has problems of it's own. Level nock travel is one of them. Rigging still strestches and when it does your cams don't go out of sync because you only got one. But your nocking point can move up or down. If the string stretces your drawlength gets longer and the weight on the bow goes up accordingly. Then there is always a certain amount of cam lean, but that's another issue.

See? Nothing is fullproof. Now. during the last several years BCY and Brownell (makers of string material) have come up with some very good stuff. Materials used for string making are much much better than just a few years ago. And the makers of strings themselves are doing a better job of using this material. There are custom string makers that prestretch their strings and guaranteee them not to move much ( 1/8" is common) vs. 1/2" to 1 1/2" for factory strings.

There are still junk put on bow at the factory. Pretty much you can figure that if you buy a lower end bow then you get a string that is generic. You can also figure that if the string has monofilament serving that it is generic. Hell, our store sells strings that I consider garbage and they at least have braided fastflight serving..

So the point of all this is to say that the myth about two cams should be lain to rest. They are, in my opinion, superior to single cam bows in many ways. And I've only beeen shooting compounds for 30 years.