Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

NAP Shockwave 100

Old 05-13-2002, 01:20 PM

Default NAP Shockwave 100

NAP Shockwave 100 Screw In Broadhead:

Construction: Aluminum Ferrule, Stainless Steel Blades

Weight: 100 grains
Blades: .030 Stainless Steel
Cutting Diameter: 1-1/4
Heads Per Package: 3
Cost: 19.99 (BassPro Shops)
Head Type: Screw In

Overview:
This is a straight froward mechanical broadhead design. The blade retention is provided by a rubber o-ring. The most unique feature of this broadhead is the Tri-vex tip which upon first look is rather large next to most other mechanical heads and the other is the position of the o-ring which is back behind the blades pivot point. This product follows along the lines of most NAP products with good quality and a unique spin on a proven concept.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durablilty: 8 - Overall this head is well designed and holds together good. As with most mechanicals the blades can break and bend upon a hard impact. The only thing I really do not like about rubber 0-rings is their durability, they simply do not have a long life and dry rot easy. The tip should have no problem with anything it comes into contact with.

Quality: 8.5 - Overall these are nice built heads with a little more wiggle in the blades than the spitfire. I think the spitfire is machined to a little better standard that the shockwave. This really dosn't bother their performance, just a point I wanted to expres since I used the spitfire as the head I judged these against.

Flight: 9.5 - They fly great but did not hit where my field tips did. Very close but not dead on. Other than that they did great and only require a small amount of adjustment. I wish they had practice blades like the spitfire.

Price: 9 - As far as mechanicals go this is one of the best deals on the market. A pack of 3 can be purchased for around 20 bucks which is a deal next to the spitfires.

Total Score: 8.75

Final Comment:
A nice head that has a good price and outperforms it's bigger brother the Spitfire. I have found that mechanicals with a 1-1/4 cutting dia. seem to provide much better penetration than heads that are larger. The Shockwave seems to yield good penetration and the tri-vex tip can take a pounding and keep coming back for more. The only problem I see is that the tip is stronger than the ferrule and could break off with a very hard impact. Penetration with this head also seems good and much better than the Spitfires. All in all I like this broadhead and think it is a good for choice for game deer size and smaller. As always 50-55 lbs. of K.E. or better should be the rule.

Please Note: My test results for any broadhead is based on the quality, inovation, and basic durability of that broadhead. My reviews do not include any penetration tests. I am not concerned with that, if you want more information on those types of test please search for 5 Shots broadhead penetration test.

Edited by - moonge on 05/13/2002 14:22:47
Old 05-13-2002, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NAP Shockwave 100

As always a great report. Your results are again pretty close to mine. As mechanicals go the Shock waves are my 2nd favorite behind the Rocky snypers.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 05-13-2002, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

shockwaves rule. I love them. I took two bucks last year with them and they were awesome.

Great head

Brian
Old 05-14-2002, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Love them 4 shots 4 deer none ran over 25 yds
Old 05-18-2002, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used the 125 grain shockwaves on my bear. Both full pass throughs, one breaking a rib on the way in. It dulled up the tip just a bit, but they worked flawlessly, and nearly severed the top of the bears heart killing him in seconds.

The shockwaves shot exactly like my field points. No adjustments needed. I agree with the blade wobble, even though it didn't affect the arrow, it is kind of annoying knowing it is there. The retention rings had to be replaced even before I put the arrows in my quiver, which is probably the reason they give you so many extras!

I liked the head design more than the spitfires, so that's the main reason I went with the Shockwaves. I would of tried out the snypers as well, but haven't been able to find them in 125 grain.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:48 AM

I just wanted to bring some of these reviews back up in front since people are getting ready for hunting season now.
Old 08-10-2002, 08:52 PM

I have used them ever since they came out and they have came to be my old reliable.