Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Summit Lock-On

Old 10-19-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Summit Lock-On

My 13 year old stepson is really getting into bowhunting and I want to further encourage him. I mentioned today, as we left our blind, that I think he would be ready for a stand next year. The thought of that really got him fired up. With that in mind, I am planning on getting him a good stand for Christmas.

I am a diehard Summit fan myself having owned several after getting rid of other brands...but have not tried their lock-ons.

Can someone give me a heads up, and an opinion of which is the safest option?

Also, what about their climbing sticks? we have some straight trees around, but not perfectly straight....is their stick flexible and easy to use??

Thanks!!
Old 10-20-2004, 02:46 AM

Default RE: Summit Lock-On

Glad to hear you're inspiring someone else to be in the woods!

If it were me, I'd look at Gorilla stands as well. Cabelas offers the Baby Gorilla model for half the price of the Summit Copperhead X4. And from what i've heard, they are very quiet as well.

In all reality, safety is probably about even with all of the fixed position stands as long as your stepson wears a good safety harness.

Sorry I don't have any ideas about climbing sticks. I'm actually looking for a set myself this year!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Summit Swiftree stick ladder and it requires a pretty straight tree. I have not hunted out of one of their hang-on stands but I did try them at the show and they are well designed. I love my Viper and the hang-on stands seem to have all the comfort I'm used to with the Viper which is hard to find in a hang-on type stand. I plan to have a few by next season. I liked the Headhunter better that the Copperhead because the seat position is higher and makes it easier to stand up with as little movement as possible but they both attach to the tree in the same way and are equally as comfortable. As far as a ladder or steps I think if I were you I would go with their Bucksteps.....no straight tree required!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Stick ladders have their places in the deer woods, but I think for pure versatility, the Bucksteps beat them hands down. I've used mine a few times this year, and I'm glad I bought them. Carry a few screw/tie-on steps to get around branches and curves,and you can go anywhere. One good feature about them is that you can stand on one step with both feet while installing the next steps or stand. No more trying to balance all your weight on one leg on one step while working in the tree.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Summit Headhunter Lite. I love this stand. Light weight, easy to hang, rock solid & quiet as a mouse. I also have a set of the Summit Bucksteps, I highly recommend them as they are much more versatile than a stick ladder adn very light weight as well. Both can be bought from Cabelas.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:23 AM

I just bought two fake "buckstep" units from the local gander mountian. While not necessarly as light, they were only $11.99 on sale a piece there.

I tried them out on a tree in my front yard when I got home, and they work very well. They have a 1" strap which seems to really dig in to the tree and no-skid on the steps. I'll try to post some pictures when I get them up for good.

While they aren't as light as the bucksteps from summit, I was mainly planning on taking them out at the beginning of the season and maybe moving them a couple times. I'm not going to switch trees too often -- that's what a climber is for.

So far, the first impression is that they are sturdy and well made. I think I'l go back and get a couple more this evening.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an older copperhead that is outstanding. I have not tried the newer hang on's but did look them over at the ATA show. They looked well built and comfortable. I think you would be happy with one.