Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cap Lock Or flint lock Shot Guns? >

Cap Lock Or flint lock Shot Guns?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cap Lock Or flint lock Shot Guns?

Old 01-21-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Cap Lock Or flint lock Shot Guns?

Hello folks.

I am in the market for a cap lock or flint lock shot gun for Turkey hunting. I would like to know if any one makes a cap or flint lock shot gun in a full choke? Or with screw in choke tubes? The closest thing I have found so far is The CVA Trapper shot gun. According to their web site, that gun has a Modified barrel. Part two to my question is what would be the affective killing range of this gun for turkeys? 20 to 30 yards? If so I could see my self useing one. After all Half the fun of turkey hunting is getting them close.

Thanks in advance

Jerry
Old 01-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cap Lock Or flint lock Shot Guns?

Check at the Knight Rifle sight on their shotgun. They have one and it has different chokes depending on what you want to hunt. Also I would go with a cap lock instead of a flint. Many times turkey hunting where I am it is raining or misting or wet out. I would want as sure a ignition as possible....
Old 01-22-2004, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the reply cayugad.

From what I know about Knights shot guns, They are all inlines? I gusse what I am looking for is to stay closer to the roots of Muzzle loading. Thats why I would like to find a caplock or a flintlock, with a good old wood stock. I found cabelas offers a side by side caplock shot gun with screw in chokes but they are a bit pricey for me at $700.00. Also I am not to interested in a double barrel. I will probably get me the CVA Trappers Shot gun. I am just wondering if there were any other choices out there.

Thanks

Jerry
Old 01-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

it would definently be sweet to have a flintlock turkey gun....that would be great...but i havent seen anything like that...im sure you could have one built or find an old one....but it would be pricey....i dont think theres any makers out there that make one now....sure you could find a caplock.....and your right....the funnest part of turkey hunting is having them so close.....a mod should shoot good out to 30yd or so id bet.....but i never shot or seen a pattern from a BP shotgun so i cant say for sure.....i know a normal 12ga with a mod can do it to about 30 or so...and with BP you can play with loads and find a good pattern....good luck
Old 01-22-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey T.A., Look for a T/C New Englander, or Black Mountain Magnum. They are traditional single barrels with screw-in chokes. $300 or less should get one.
Use felt cushion wads in the full choke guns. Try Gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com. They show up from time to time.