Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 North Starr "Arrow Starr FS" climbing stand >

North Starr "Arrow Starr FS" climbing stand

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

North Starr "Arrow Starr FS" climbing stand

Old 10-15-2004, 08:44 PM

Default North Starr "Arrow Starr FS" climbing stand

So I was in the market for a new climber and wanted a good one. A very good one. Here are the qualities I looked for to start...

Light weight
Ease of assembly
Flatness of packing
Comfort
Safety
Ease of climbing
Stability on the tree.
PRICE!!

Based on the personal opinions of me...weighing 175-180lbs and 5'11"

Weight.
The Arrow Starr weighs in at a meager 16 pounds. Only one I found with all the features I wanted that was lighter was the Lone Wolf and that was 15.5 pounds and more than $100 more...I tried both on my back and the Arrow Starr was more comfortable. I couldn't tell the difference in weight.

Ease of assembly.
Very simple to set up. Attaches to the tree with a cable that slides into the square support bars easily and quietly. Rubber coated Lynch safety pins locks it in position. One pin out, cable around the tree, slide it back in and re-attach the pin and your set to climb.

Flatness of packing.
This was important to me as I have spots that take some climbing, wrestling and crawling to get to. 2 Fixed bolts attached by a large tri-handle screw nut lock the support bar into the climbing position for both top and bottom...and removed to make flat to pack in or out.

Only nit pick I have is with these screw nuts....they are not attached and if you should drop one in the dark you may be in for a long search. The stand will not function safely without them. I plan on drilling a small hole in one side and attaching them myself with a small bit of wire to eliminate this problem. Other than that it packs flat as a pancake and doesn't impede movement of my legs in the rear and doesn't go above my mid neck so...it follows where my head and body go without getting hung up on overhanging branches or clipping my calves.
Only downside is that it isn't blatantly obvious which side goes to which side or where to "nest" them on a vertical plane. The vertical is not a big deal as they fit about anywhere but the "front-Back" thing could be confusing in the dark. Again....I'm nitpicking. Even if you didn't get it right the first time, all you have to do is flip one around. But as I said, it's not blatantly obvious.
Second downside is...it employs a ratchet strap to hold them together and there isn't a "put there on purpose" place for them to be attached. There are plenty of places that'll work...but I don't know which one works better until I try ALL of them. 2 small metal loops on each side of top OR bottom would make it idiot proof. (made for me)

Comfort.
I'm not in as good of shape as I used to be I don't want a lounger that puts me to sleep in 2 minutes, nor do I want a stand that puts only my legs to sleep by cutting off blood circulation. I've never even used the included back rest and found it to be very comfortable. Padded seat (which folds up to allow more platform room with just enough tension to stay where you put it and not clank around yet move easily and quietly when you want it moved) almost molds to your body. I can see the mesh outline of my ASAT 3D leafy on the seat when I stand up...very cushy, confy and warm. Platform is obviously moveable to suit any leg length and the Cable system has justa enough give to bring it slightly up at rest and stay rigid enough to hold your feet without effort and than fade an inch or two when you stand for a level surface to stand on.

Safety.
I normally don't pay attention to this "safety" stuff but with the advent of my Son....I'm a little more carefull now.
The Arrow Starr comes with a spectacular harness system (same as Summit...don't know the name but they rock). It also has the lineman option for travel up and down the tree in safety...very nice feature.
2 tethers attach the top to the bottom to make sure you don't lose the floor on the way up or down. Even on as much as 5 different setting per side of cable adjustment...no slippage. In fact, I tested it very near the ground and couldn't get either to slip without setting it up nearly vertically. The teeth and cable grip extremely well and I couldn't feel safer when climbing, sitting or standing even at funky angles (harness attached of course)

Ease of climbing.
No footstraps needed (yipeeee!) Base of bottom platform has ample room alomg the side to wedge even the bulkiest boots into and snug up. Back (tree) side has wedges as well. very conveneint and easy to find and easy to use. Cables are the perfect blend of stiffness and rigidity to allow rock solid mounting and security while maintaning the suppleness to be whisper quiet. Light years ahead of the old "V" groove metal styles that I'd used in the past. 10 out of 10 here.

Stability on the tree.
Mainly on the tree was my concern. I didn't want to have to pack a ratchet strap along to feel safe. I need the ratchet to hook them together to pack in or out....but I never need it on the tree. Very stable in all the tree sizes I've tried. Only downside I found....Set the V teeth on a big hump while the cable is at a narrower section above. It can slip about 3-4" on either side. Doesn't drop at all but can scare the crap out of you even at 3 feet. It DOES lock to that side provided your weight stays to that side (it is safe), but the common reaction is to retract all your weight and and this can lead to the identical situation on the opposite side. Not a problem at all...unless your not wearing your harness.
Any normal person would simply move the seat or platform up or down 3-4" and the issue goes away. I can not emphasize how HARD I TRIED to get it to do this simply looking for a flaw. Nitpik to the "nth" degree but hey...safety is safety. Who knows when I'll decide to go hunting after 17 Heinekens and not see the hump...right??[8D]
Plus if you use the ratchet (as they do recommend) it isn't even a minor issue

Price.
I paid $219 at Cabela's. Not a cheap stand in my eyes or on my budget but when you figure I have 9 or 10 other $39.95- $60 hang-ons that I have scattered about the county and if I lose one...oh well ; the climber I take in and out and don't have to worry about theft. Coupled with the fact that I DON"T want to have to buy another for at least 4 years... the $219 was one hell of a bargain.

In fact the only other climber that even came close to covering as many bases and having as many, seemingly, "made to fit to me" feature was the Lone Wolf climber which doesn't have any side rails at all and I didn't feel quiet safe in for $100 more or the Lone Wolf Alpha that was $349 and 4 pounds heavier and didn't fold flat. The Summit Bullet 22lbs and Broadhead 21lbs backpacker models were both slightly more expensive and a bit heavier. Huge bargain for the Arrow Starr IMO.

To sum it up I'd have to say I'm very happy with my decision to go with the North Starr. Not a HUGE name but they're made in my home state and promised all the features and comforts I wanted for a price much less than any other in the industry and have delivered on those promises and much more.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:22 PM

Default RE: North Starr "Arrow Starr FS" climbing stand

peace
weighing 175-180lbs and 5'11"
twrip!

You should get a harrness for the pikester!

i had two northstarr climbers a few years back and i loved them! light and fast and safe nice set ups! i have summits now and yeap they a bit more! but then again being 6'5 300 pounds thanks to kellys food i needed a bigger stand