Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Climbers: Gorilla or North Starr >

Climbers: Gorilla or North Starr

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Climbers: Gorilla or North Starr

Old 09-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Climbers: Gorilla or North Starr

im looking at the gorilla greyback and the northstarr arrow star...

opinions?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Climbers: Gorilla or North Starr

the Gorilla weighs 19lbs, has a web seat, and is onsale at cabelas for 159.99

the North Starr is 16 lbs (aluminum), has a fold down seat with closed cell foam, and is 199.99
Old 09-28-2005, 06:57 AM

It just so happens I'm going to buy my new climber tonight. I was going to go with the buckshot Eq. until I found the North Star. I am going to buy the NS climber.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

any others?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:59 PM

I am a Summit man for sure. Ive used many climbers and I havent found one yet that I like better than my summit. I would suggest the Viper X5. Theyre more expensive but really nice stands.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

the only reason that i didnt look at summit, api or buckshot is that ive got some shoulder problems and the api bowhunter i had was just too much work. i was looking for a sitdown type of climber, vs. one that you use your upper body to climb. the north starr has a sling and the gorilla has a bar that you sit on. i used to use a redhead similar to the gorilla, but the frame was too narrow.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

George;
I currently own a North Star Southern Star Climber Stand and it works with the same fold down flat system for packing in and out as the Arrow Star Climber stand..... Dont let my husband know but...... I HATE THIS CLIMBER STAND[:'(]He bought it for me for christamas and I dont want to hurt his feelings but the thing is a pain in the BUTT.
The stand uses small turn screw knobs with small washers to lock into the climbing possition and the flat packing positions and they are very easily lost in the dark when you are fumbling with them in the dark.... just to many small parts that if you lose just one in the woods then there is no getting up the tree.And to add insult to injury the screwing turn knobs that lock the top and bottom pieces of the stand in the climbing positions constantly come loose and on the bar your sitting on while climbing up the tree these screw turn knobs that keep your bar locked to the upper part of the stand wobble loose every time I inch up the tree and I have to check them everytime I accel up the tree to make sure the bar is still locked on the stand before I dareput my weight on it again... I much prefer to hump my husbands heaveyier summit climber into the woods than mess with the North Star Climber he got me. I dont feel real safe when I use the North Star Climber... and my safety means alot to me. Although it is flat and light weight and very comfortable to haul on my back.
I would ... if it were me.... save my money until I have just a little more and buy a highly recommended , safe, easy of use,and a high quality climberstand.
Best of luck this season.->>>------------------>

Old 09-29-2005, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

LadyForge, thanks for that good info. thats the stuff i wanted to hear (the good and the bad). im not interested in losing parts in the dark either
Old 09-29-2005, 05:51 AM

I use the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb. It's a bit expnsive but I love it. Very sturdy platform which makes no noise. Having the ability to sit and climb without using your arms is a plus if you have a shoulder problem. It also has a built in bow holder.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have no experience with either brand, but I have enough problems finding USA made products, and I personally won't buy a Gorilla made in China product..........but thats just me.