Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

TrapDoor Arrow rest

Old 09-12-2004, 05:53 PM

Default TrapDoor Arrow rest

Hi, just wondering if anyone uses the trapdoor mach 4 arrow rest and what your thought are on it, and also what is your preference for a release, hand held or wrist strap model, thanks for any replys.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: TrapDoor Arrow rest

My buddy uses the trap door and it seems to work for him, however the internal mechanism seems a bit on the complex side for a hunting rig. It just strikes me as one more thing to go wrong.

With reference to the release, it comes down to personal preference. I think the wrist strap types are easier to learn to shoot and you really can't drop one out of your stand unless you really try.
My personal preference is for a hand held thumb trigger release. I have a Carter Chololate Addiction I use for hunting and it works very well. Prior to that was a Carter Insatiable, which now serves as a backup.

If you are considering changing the type, I would suggest to wait until the season is over. It takes awhile to get comfortable with a hand held, and even more time to be comfortable using one in a hunting situation.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:12 AM

I've had a Trap Door rest on the last three bows I've owned, including my current bow, an Outback. Love the rest. Hasn't failed once. Thing I like is that there are no strings or cables hooked to my bow.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:32 AM

This is my second year with the Trapdoor and I shot a lot of 3D during the off season and the rest has never failed. I sort of agree with 98REDLINE that it is sort of technical for a hunting rest, but I feel that way about all drop away rests. This rest has proved to me that it is very reliable and best of all no moving parts or cables when you draw.

As for releases I like a glove type with a caliper head that has adjustable release pressure.

Good Luck
Old 09-21-2004, 07:08 AM

My buddy shot this rest for 1 year in archery leauge and loved it! Then all of a sudden the next year he could'nt get his bow to shoot worth a damn, he took it back to the (so called pro shop) and they told him it was fine. So I talked him in to trying a muzzy zero effect (he shoots a legacy, so do I) he said he cannot believe the difference, everything about the muzzy is 100000000 times better! We tuned it in, It took only 15 minutes! So my suggestion is save your trap door for a paper weight and buy a Muzzy!!!! Muzzy Bad To The Bone!!!!!!!!!!!![8D][&:]