Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Mathews LXI maxed out at 65lbs??? Why >

Mathews LXI maxed out at 65lbs??? Why

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Mathews LXI maxed out at 65lbs??? Why

Old 09-05-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Mathews LXI maxed out at 65lbs??? Why

I have tightened my limbs bolts as much as I can, but it only shows 65lbs on my scale. Is anybody else having problems like this?
70lb max bought new beginning of last year. I have shot it all year at 63lbs, now I want more. I lubbed up the bolts backed them off a bit then retightened. My next step is to put it on a bow press (which I dont have) and see if someone else can get it fixed. Less than 30 days left.
Thanks in advance...
Old 09-05-2004, 07:52 PM

Default RE: Mathews LXI maxed out at 65lbs??? Why

Check your brace height. That's most likely the culprit. When your cables stretch, you'll lose pounds.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

yep.. cable and string have stretched.... Zebra strings/cables are made from FastFlight which is notorious for it's stretching properties.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I am sure many will have something to say about this response but I personally have owned two Mathews, a LX and my current Outback (both with 50-60 and 60-70 LB limb sets), and have weight tested many at other pro-shops, and my hunting partners own many many Mathews bows, "they do not pull their rated poundage period!" You can measure and twist and even send it back to Mathews until your blue in the face. "They do not pull their rated poundage!" Many bows will not. I am not bashing Mathews my Outback shoots incredible, but it will only pull 64 lbs. It puts out more than enough ke (64lb @ 27", 375 gr arrow @ 254 fps) to put down just about any species of North American game with the proper arrow placement. I posted this very same issue a while back and had many conversations with Mathews technical department. For what it's worth here is some advice someone gave me, don't get caught up in the specifics of what your bow is pulling but rather how it is shooting. It will save you alot of frustration.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:49 PM

I can understand some string stretch. And I can understand some bows not pulling their max. But, my bow had a nice range from 60lbs to 74lbs. I had 4 full turns to max my bow out. I then backed it off 3 full turns to shoot about 63-64lbs to achieve the 260fps.
I tried to tighten the bolts, but they would only turn about 1 1/4 turn. I lubed them up, back them off then retightened. Again only 1 1/4 turns. I checked the poundage, it was 65lbs. Shooting at 273fps. I got brave and realy cranked it. I now have 68lbs at 275fps.
BUT NOW my arrows are shooting 6" low at 25yds.....now what??????
It almost seems like one linb bolt is tighter then the other. But I visually checked it and they both look the same, and the marks I had on each coinside.
This is getting wierd...Any ideals would realy be appreciated....thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 06:18 PM

I asume you losened the lock down bolts in the pivots for the limbs? My Outback will do 74 lbs. bottomed out. Don
Old 09-08-2004, 09:32 AM

Some of the older Mathews I owned would go about 3#'s over the advertised poundage IF the bow was set at the max draw length. Shorten the bow 1" and it would be at the advertised max, and less would mean less respectively.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Is there something wrong with 65#s ?
You can kill anything in North America at that poundage .