Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Broadhead Question

Old 08-06-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Broadhead Question

Last year I used the Rocket Steelhead 125 gr. expandable broadheads. I was thinking about going to the Spitfire 125 broadheads. They are both expandable heads, will they fly on about the same path? Or will there be significant difference?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:57 PM

Default RE: Broadhead Question

well me i am a reg. broadhead kinda guy...ive experienced a lot wit expandables and i havent been satisfied but if i would us an expandable i would go with the spitfire from new archery..
Old 08-08-2004, 08:04 PM

I too am a Fixed blade user. I have used Thunderheads since the 80's! If I were to use mechanicals I would use the Spitfires myself. I have been looking at them hard but will still use my Thunderheads again this year. I have heard of great success using Spitfires. However, the fellows I know have switched to Grim Reapers and they say they leave blood trails a blind man can follow. I did a search on Grim Reapers here and on AT and it seems that most say they had problems with the Grim Reaper's blades not being sharp, bending on impact, and difficult to assemble.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be truthful, the only way to find out if they both fly the same is to buy some and find out. What works for one guy may be completely different for another.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Spitfires DON'T even compare to the Steelheads!!! I've used both on several deer and the Steelhead is a far better b-head, from overall construction to penetration there is certainly a difference.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:45 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

The Spitfires DON'T even compare to the Steelheads!!! [quote]

Iwould agree to that! I like the Splitfires!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:23 PM

Personally, I shoot fixed blade (muzzy) but my twin bro shoots spitfires and he shot 2 nice bucks last year at about 20-30 yds. Penetration was impressive and even got me thinking about switching over. But I'm stubborn and I'll stick with my muzzys.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

The spitfires will do just fine on deer, they are just a bigger version of a steelhead, the spitfires will penetrate less than the steelheads because of the larger cutting diameter, but steelheads are tougher and penetrate like no other, Both will work great. If it were me to choose I would choose the spitfire, I don't like a rubberband holding onto my blades, thus is why I choose the spitfire. Whatever you choose wishing the best.Lou-Lou
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 AM

Cornfed.............you gotta be on the Rocket pro-staff or something !!

They are better for low KE set ups "no doubt"..........beyond that :

If you call barely sharp ,easily bent/broken blades, hardly any threads to screw in your insert, noisy, o-ring equipped little broadhead .............superior....... to an extremely well made , super sharp , dependable, top of the line broadhead.......well so be it (I've tried several Rocket's....including Steelheads.....you can have them).

They kill things........I admit it ! Won't ever be in my quiver again !!
Old 08-15-2004, 06:39 PM

I was doughtfull of the spitfire also untill i vidioed one of my hunting buddies blast through 200 lb black bear at 25 yds hitting right behind the left shoulder and pucnhing through the right then going afew inches into the dirt. i am no longer a critic on this head.

p.s he was shooting 65 lbs preeeety impresive bear only went 30 yards or so. good luck with your search.