Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bug Tamer?

Old 07-24-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Bug Tamer?

OK - let's hear it (the good and the bad). Are these things worth the money? Do they still work if they are pulled tight (knees, shoulders)? Can you really wear shorts under them? Will they interfere with bowstrings? I'd like to know before I drop $200 on a suit. I have other bug suits, and they don't work that good. Looking for something besides chemicals to keep them away from my skin!!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bug Tamer?

I've been researching bug suits and talking to as many people who use them and it seems Shannon Bug tamer suits get the most thumbs up. Even in the shoulder and knee area is air space keeping a physical space between where the bug can land and your skin.

Good Luck!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:55 PM

I haven't bowhunted with it yet, but I did use my Shannon Bug Tamer turkey hunting in a FL swamp and it worked great. There are mosquitos so big down there that they can (insert the rest of the turkey story here)... I wore a tee shirt underneath. My brother (who hunts in that FL swamp all year long) swears by his Bug Tamer. He's on his second or third one.

I didn't get the pants. I wear those ultralite baggie camo pants and they seem to suffice. I do tend to look like MCHammer in those pants, tho (and it's not a pretty sight). I did get a couple bites on my knees thru those pants...
Old 07-24-2004, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

We hunted East Texas last year which is basically an extension of Louisiana. We had to buy Bug Tamer suits and they worked great. Last year we only bought the jackets buts this year I went ahead and bought the pants. I wouldn't be caught without one if mosquitos or knats are a problem. Yes you can wear shorts under them. Don't be fooled into thinking they breathe really good because of the mesh because they don't. They are a little warm during bow season down here. I don't like spraying down with insect repellant because it has cost me more than one deer through the years.

You might check Bass Pro. I got a sale paper in the mail the other day that showed them at $69.88 for the jacket or pants.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:51 AM

Thanks fo rthe reviews - I'll be buying both the jacket and the pants soon since most companies are getting rid of their old inventory - Cabelas, and a few others seem to have the same deal on them right now - about 15% off of regular prices.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I've hunted in the Fl Swamps all my like & have wore Shannon Bug Tamers for years, but bought a Thermacell last year & boys let me tell you that thing works!! If you do wear a bug tammer you can dunk it in a bucket of water & its like AC in the tree stand.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:41 PM

trust me i live in central N.H i know bugs!! i have tried them all. bug tamer is by far the best 100% bug suit you can buy.... hey my name is skina but i ain't no beggina. just buy it and you will be glad you did. our bow season starts in mid september up here and that suit is my secret weapon. good luck
Old 08-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got the Bug tamer suit and love it!!!!!!!!! You will get one in the knees every once in a while. Don't worry it's worth it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:20 PM

r u guys refering to the tight suit that i see in redhead??? with the socks and all??