Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 The big Three? is that it? >

The big Three? is that it?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

The big Three? is that it?

Old 07-11-2004, 05:52 AM

Default RE: The big Three? is that it?

Belted, if you afford a Martin you can buy a BowTech.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:57 AM

Based on what valid data are these three bows considered to be the "Big 3?" A few months ago I read an archery business article that stated that Bear was still the leading bow seller.

Just because a bow is in the top seller bracket does not mean that the bow is over-the-top-better than any other bow. Nor does it mean that a so called top seller is the bow for everyone.

All it means is that some bow manufacturers have a good ad coverage, and a lot of people fell for the propaganda.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:47 PM

Being brand new and having looked at a LOT of bows and being given an old Jennings Uniforce I think I should throw my opinion out there. The area where I am visiting seems to have a dealer for just about every bow that is made, with a few exceptions of course. I think I have held about all of them that fit me (31" draw). After talking to more than a few guys at the pro shops the common theme is " I would not buy *insert name here* because I have had problems with warranty work or *insert model name here* is just junk" Aren't they all like cars?! Any day of the week a worker at the factory can be upset or hung over, any customer service rep on the phone can be having a bad day or any make or model can be a bad bow?
The good shops I have been to have distinguished themselves from the so-so shops I have been to by telling me that I should buy the one that A) you can afford and/or B) feels right. There are a few (2) GREAT shops have told me to not buy from them if the bows they have do not feel right when I shoot them. They would sell me a bow, but they would rather sell me on coming back. THAT will bring me back, the guy who wants a happy shooter above a sale. By the way, those 2 shops sold Fred Bear, Martin, PSE, Reflex and Browning.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:24 PM

There the big 3 for a reason.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:50 PM

There the big 3 for a reason.
Where are the valid market stats that confirm "they" are the big 3. It is not valid to conclude they are the big 3 based on much talk and bragging about the 3 by a few on forums.

If "they" just happen to be the big 3 sellers, what does that mean? That they (big 3) are superior to all other bows and that they are superior in the hands of anyone? Or, does it mean that many people believe all they read and hear, and many want to keep up with the Jones'?

How can some of these bows be better than others when certain designs and features found on some of the big 3 have been copied off other bows that are not usually listed in the "big 3?"
Old 07-13-2004, 02:06 PM

They are just about the only bows you can buy anywhere in my area. Except for the odd PSE, etc.

To me they are the big 3
Old 07-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a fred Bear TRX 32. I went on my first 3D tournament a month ago and took second place. I took second again on my second tounament this past weekend. Either way it impressed my shooting partners quite a bit. They shoot Bowtech and Matthews. They kept commenting on how quiet it was. Even with it fully rigged with quiver and even a game tracker on there, no string silencers, I like to shoot it the way I will be hunting so I leave everything on it. The bow is equipped with a shock stop. The guys at the pro shop kept telling me to take it off cause I would never get it to paper tune with it on. How wrong they were. Oh and we swept the tourny with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, me being second. I love my bow.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:50 PM

It's all about the market in your area. My area has gone through phases.
80's - Bear, Pearson, Jennings, and PSE
90's - PSE, Pearson, High Country, Hoyt, Proline, and XI
2000's - Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Bowtech, Parker, and Darton

It goes in cycles, Mathews was the biggie after the Q2's came out, Hoyt after the cam and a half, Bowtech's are hot now as well as a renewed interest in Darton and the new AR's are doing ok. We do have a loyal Parker following now and a couple of dealers sell Champions but they do not move a lot of volume.

It's really a buyers market, if a shop brings in Mathews & does good with them they will keep them. They may try some other brands but they often won't put the sales pitch behind a Champion or Parker as they would with Mathews, PSE, or Hoyt.

I have also noticed that shops that sell Mathews in my area can not move an AR but the shops that don't have Mathews can move them. The ones that have Martins do well but they also tend to carry a lot of hoyts since they will try to get the target crowd as well as the hunters. It's really kind of funny how it works out. The one given in my area is that PSE is always there, shops sell them and regionally they seem to do well. Go south a bit & you can not pick up a PSE because no one wants them. 50 miles south & it's all Mathews, Hoyt, Bear, and Bowtech.

I knwo people in Texas that use a lot of Diamonds but I have never seen a Diamond in any shop around my area or even int he states around me! The same with CSS, they are not that far away but no one sells them around here. They all make good bows but it's as if no one wants to take a chance on them!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

SCREW THAT I SHOOT MARTIN AND I LIKE IT ALOT MATHEWS CAN KISS MY A@S FOR INSTANCE!!!!
Old 07-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

this will be my third season as far as bowhunting using a Golden Eagle (sherman tank) that was given to me by a friend a few years back, i'm, guessing it probably was made in the late seventies early eighties i'm guessing ,, 47 in. axel to axel, about 4lbs.maybe a little more but you know i took it out on several 3D shoots and it did very well, on one of those shoots they had a target set up at about 70 -90 yards out for a small jackpot of a small amount of money so i thought i'd give it a try,, stacked my pins,,let her fly and then i heard a "thunk",, buddy next to me said "well,,you hit it."..my arrow came within 1/8in. of winning that pot. i also used that old dinosaur up in my hang on,,yep, 20 feet up,,And this season i'm buying my first climber and yes that ol' Dino coming with me.

_first season took a forked velvet .. 30 yards out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.