Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 deer decoy...anybody use em? >

deer decoy...anybody use em?

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

deer decoy...anybody use em?

Old 03-02-2004, 11:39 AM

Default deer decoy...anybody use em?

I just recently received a full bodied deer decoy complete with removeable antlers, as a christmas gift.
I have no idea how to proporly use this in a hunting situation. When do you use the antlers, when not.
What part of the season works best for decoys. Long time bowhunter,first time decoy user. Any help would be appreciated. thank you!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:30 PM

Default RE: deer decoy...anybody use em?

Have used decoy a few times. Actually, the decoy is a deer target that we use to shoot in from treestands.

When the target was still in the field, I have set it out to observe what would happen. I observed deer come in, I observed the decoy spook deer. Had a 14-pnt come on a dead run from about 300 yards away, across a bare soybean field. He hit the doe decoy and threw it in the air. Then he ran back to where he came from, as fast as he did when he ran to the decoy. About like some deer scents and callers. Sometimes they (scents/callers) work for you, sometimes they work against you.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:33 PM

Thank you for your input.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like the idea of using the target deer for a decoy because of scent left on it from the consistant shooting use and they're too heavy to be carrying in and out of the bush .I haven't used one yet but this season I'll have one for sure but you definetly need to keep them clean and use scent away on them every time you use them and then use a little doe scent if it's a doe and use buck scent if your using the buck .I have friends who swear about using them they have told me stories about buck's coming in with their noses in the air and their eye's rolling up in their heads.

nubo
Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought one lst summer and didn't try it unil fairly late in the season. I used it twice and had two of the best and most interesting hunts I've had in the past 5 years, trust me they work. I have the Redi-Doe decoy. Its a doe only but looks totally life like. That probably explains why numerous deer ( including bucks) walked circles around it for 15 minutes several times both days I used it. If I did that with my 3D deer target they might be interested, but I'm sure would spook quickly!

Have fun!
Old 03-06-2004, 11:04 AM

I used one a few yrs ago, it was a archery target. no horns. I sprayed it with scent elminator and then put a piece of tissue on for a wagging tail. then used doe scent on it. I had a spike come up past it maybe 40yrds then it looked over and walked in. they say that they want to look eye to eye with decoy. well it walked all around the decoy and my stand. which would have given me so many shooting opportunities. I have never used it again because I couldn't dive in as far and to heavy to carry. I did get a foam doe laying but never had any deer come in when i used it. there are some videos out were they show how to use them..
Old 03-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use mine during the rut and early bow season.Now the big BUT,I also hunt on private land so everyone knows it's my decoy.A good call like the "True Talker" helps.If the deer starts to get worred I just doe talk to it.I had a fawn bed down near mine.Kind of funny and fun.