Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Need advice on new bow purchase. >

Need advice on new bow purchase.

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need advice on new bow purchase.

Old 01-16-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Need advice on new bow purchase.

I recently found a new archery indoor and outdoor range with 3-D targets and fell in love with the sport again. I shot traditional, long and recurve bows for years back in the 50s and 60s and bought one compound, a PSE but didn't have the oppurtunity to shoot it much. I want to shoot again and I shot a Hoyt Protec and Ultramac at the indoor range but haven't had the chance to shoot a Mathews or Protec bow. Everyone there reccomended those three and it seems all the rest were garbage in their opinion. Are there any other bows that you could reccomend? How about the new Bear or Buckmaster bow? Thanks for the help, I know this has been thrashed out many times before but I'm new to this forum and appreciate the help.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:05 PM

Default RE: Need advice on new bow purchase.

OOPs, forgive me I mean Bowtech, not Protec. Goes to show you I'm a newbee at all the new stuff flying thru my head and before me. Thanks again
Old 01-17-2004, 03:11 PM
jca

there are plenty of bows out that will shoot as good as you'll ever need. look into PARKER,PSE,MARTIN,PEARSON.mathews,bowtech,hoyt are all awesome bows considered the big three,but it all depends on what you are willing to spend.buy what feels good in your hand.thats all that matters! good luck
Old 01-17-2004, 05:11 PM

Go to www.huntersfriend.com and check out the different info on all these bows, if you decide you need them help just give them a call on Monday.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

It definitley is difficult to find a "bad bow" on the market nowadays. Bear, Jennings, etc.. make some really nice models though they have not changed much in recent years. They may suit your needs very well. The previously mentioned "Hunters Friend" website would be a good place to start looking at and comparing models. Then do some research on this site and head to a few local shops to try a few models out. Ask questions when you are there and I am sure that someone will help you figure out what works best for you.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:49 AM

I THINK FOR THE MONEY YOU CAN'T BEAT THE FRED BEAR LINE, BUT I AM PARTIAL TO HOYT WILL NEVER OWN ANYTHING BUT HOYT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 02-07-2004, 12:09 AM

hi!! in reply to the people who said all other bows are junk they are idiots who dont know any thing about bows. every bow out there has its good and bads. for instance the hoyts I feel are one of the worst at shooting long range shots. they need to do some thing on there design. I owned both hoyt razor tech and matthews legacy and Q2. after a while sold the and bought the new browning mirage zx. it shot the best for me. dont let some fool infuence you to buying a 700.00 bow if you cant shoot it. I've been seeting people up w/ bow's for years. I will tell them before they buy a bow shoot it first. and try the other brands after. to see if that bow is what they really want. most people that tell other people that one bow is better than the rest has little or no experience in the field. or just like the matthews and hoyt cause they are the new rave. I hope this helps ya. Good Luck!!