Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Fletching your own arrows >

Fletching your own arrows

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Fletching your own arrows

Old 01-19-2004, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Fletching your own arrows

I have both an Arizona EZ fletcher and a BPE Pro. I find myself using the Arizona more often simply because it is less time consuming and just about as accurate as the BPE in my hands.

As for the vanes....I have been generally using the AAE Elite Plastifletch Vanes as well as the standard Bohning Variety...both in the equivalent of 4 inch with good results. I will be also using Duravanes in the weeks and months to come as I like experimenting on occasion.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:38 PM

I use the Arizona Carbon fletcher on my Gold tips and it works great. Holds vanes or feathers tight against the shaft while the glue dries. I then try to clean up any excess glue before it is completely dry while the fletcher is holding the arrow... looks nice and clean. Before I start an arrow and vanes I clean them with acetone and then 99+% alcohol after the glue dries and the vanes are tipped(little dab of glue at both ends) it is almost impossable to remove the vanes or feathers without a dull knife. I really like the Durevanes.

Corey
Old 01-23-2004, 11:12 AM

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...er&sa=N&tab=wg

One person said it took him an average of 45 minutes per arrow when using a "single clamp" jig…..which he does prefer. That guy is either ultra meticulous or just plain slow. Depending on environment conditions, I usually finish 3-fletching one shaft (ready to sit and hard-dry) every six to ten minutes using 1 single clamp jig and the right glue. I have two Bitz's mounted on my turntable.

My question about the EZ is: how accurate are the clamps tuned and how well can you clean and scrape the clamps and not eventually wear or damage the clamps?
Old 01-23-2004, 03:27 PM

c903

They say to soke the EZ's in acetone for 30 min to remove excess glue, most of the time I can just scrape it off with a finger nail. The plastic is chemical resistant and they are very accurate... "Barney style" anyone can do it you just have to play around to get the right amount of glue application for your vains or feathers. You can remove the excess glue... before it is completely dry with a small screw driver, gingerly as to not damage you arrow shaft or new fletching. I usually keep the arrow in the fletcher for 10 minutes or so. That is my preferance. When the glue does finally dry those vains stay put. I had a pass thru on worn 3-D bear and the vains stayed on the shaft but they looked like somebody melted them with a lighter. Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Corey
Old 01-28-2004, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using a jojan single fletchingjig for 20 years. It's worked flawlessly for me. I set it up whenever I get ready to fletch some arrows and do them one at a time while I watch TV--usually do another vane during commercials!
Old 01-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guy's just one question doesn't the Arizona Fletcher only come with straight fletching NOT Helical? or can you get them either way?

nubo
Old 01-28-2004, 04:29 PM

I was pretty sure the Arizona came in either flavor. I was at BassPro today and after talking to the archery pro staffer on duty decided on the cheaper Grayling fletchign jig ($30). It only does one vane at a time, but he said it's works very well. I'm not fletching a large supply of arrows, so I figured one vane at a time wouldn't bother me. He pointed out that this jig is basically the same as the $65 Blitzenburger except it's made out of different materials (it doesn't have option to do a helical, however).

He told me to use denurtured alcholo (99% I assume) but when I went to wal-mart this afternoon they don't sell any...why is 99% better than say, 70 or 91% for cleaning the arrows?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Arizona easy fletch. For hunting use either right or left helical. I cut off my old vanes/feathers with a knife. Also use the knife to scrape off any and all excess clue that remains on the shaft. Give the shaft a wipe with acetone and refletch.
Note: don't get any acetone on the nock as it may deteriorate it.
The new Bohning vanes do no require an alcholol wipe and they seem a bit softer than others I've used. The NAP arrow cement I found is good too. It doesn't seem get as hard like fletch tite after drying.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I was you, I'd take that Grayling back. Unless you're using mechanical broadheads, you may have accuracy problems with the straight fletching.
The helical in the fletching spins the arrow in flight helping to stabilize the arrow and is more important when shooting fixed blade broadheads.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:28 AM

DavidPaul -

Rubbing alcohol (70%) has petroleum in it. By using denatured alcohol - it cleans the arrows better and doesn't leave the petroleum.

Therefore fletchings shouldn't fall off as easily.

Try picking some up at a local pharmacy (Eckerds - Rite Aid) in the wound care section.