Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

GhillieSuits

Old 01-31-2004, 11:04 PM

Default GhillieSuits

Anyone ever use a Ghillie Suit to hunt with a bow? I was checking these out . turkey season up next and I would like to get a turkey with a bow using a ghillie suit.

http://www.ghilliesuits.com/index.as...n=Custom&ID=3#
Old 01-31-2004, 11:25 PM

Default RE: GhillieSuits

I have made several ghillie suits and used them in the world record D-DAY paintball game. I love the concealment and feel like a S.E.A.L member crawling around and using tactics in paintball and hunting and.....Whoa! I almost started dreaming! Anyway they are great, but dont try to wear one in warm weather, you'll cook like a turkey!
Old 01-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have trouble enough keeping the twigs out of my bowstring. Let alone two thousand material strands.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:52 AM

I have overcam that con about ghillie suits ElkCrazy. I just add as much of the natural cove i.e vegetation, current cover of the area being hunted, get good enough you can be undetectable in those babys! The masters of the ghillie are MarineScout/Snipers. They are a useful to hunting when used right and the natual cover is added to ultimately break up your silohette.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:10 AM

Exactly Bow-huntr, thats what I like to do, cut some pine saplings, and stick them between my quiver, and some in my hat, works great as it helps breakup the out line of your face.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:11 PM

My bro uses one for paintball. Works very well. I am going to make one for hunting.

BDU's
netting
burlap

I am going to cut the squares out of the BDU's for warm weather use. And not put any "string" on the inside of my arm so the bowstring doesn't catch.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:23 PM

Just stay away from any type of sparks with those things. They will go up just like that. A guy here in Michigan burned to death because he was smoking while wearing one. He even made it into a creek but it kept burning. Just a word of caution. Oh, this was a rifle hunter.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:08 AM

Very true GVDocHoliday, very true. I have seen tests where they light em up and they look aweful! Use plenty flame retardant when making them, I dont think it hurts the smell factor with turkeys. Ghillie suit hunting is an art, and when near perfected, some can sllooooooooooooow craw within yards of deer, given the right wind conditions. You can buy Ghillie suit kits at oklahomadday.com and BDU's also, just click on the store.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

Another site is Ghillie-suits.com you can get suits, kits, or just the raw materials to build your own. They sell just the thread, most others require you to use burlap fabric only to loose 50% of the volume. That's why they received a patent for their idea.

To prevent the strands from causing problems with your bowstring or cables, use 'button and carpet' thread to tie down the strands on the chest and sleeves as needed. This will not change the concealment features of the camo pattern.

Another tip: When you get to the area you are going to hunt; secure your gun or bow, then lay down on the ground and roll around. The suit will pick up grasses and leaves and add to the effect.

I have used them with great success during turkey season. In the spring of 2000, I had a doe walk in on me while seated at the base of a tree. So close that I raised my right hand and poked her left hind leg. She bolted about five yards, then stopped turned, and looked around. Never did she identify what had spooked her.

There is a reason the military uses them, they are the BEST camo system ever developed. Bar none.

Oh yea, as metioned before - use a flame retardant treatment before use.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:54 AM

There's a fellow in Florida who touches deer (no nothing kinky). He moves constantly but only a few feet in an hour or so. He was taught by an old indian tracker (sounds like a movie). He has touched a fox, a turkey or two, several deer, a hog (I think) and perhaps a few other critters.