Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Muzzy or G5 Montech for elk >

Muzzy or G5 Montech for elk

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Muzzy or G5 Montech for elk

Old 11-30-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Muzzy or G5 Montech for elk

In an effort to expand my hunting opportunities I have decided to give archery a try. I purchased a PSE Nitro One Cam, the draw length 29in. and draw weight is 70lbs. I am looking for advice on arrow and broadhead selection. The G5 montech and Muzzy heads seem to be popular choice. What are your thoughts? I will be primarily be hunting elk, any advice will be appreciated!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:34 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Muzzy or G5 Montech for elk

Both are great heads, but I'd go with the Montec. Simpler without changing blades and they're tough. Sharpening them can be a problem, but I've got it down so anybody should be able to do it.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the montecs fly good for you then I would go with them hands down. They cost twice as much but they are super strong and you don't have to buy new blades every time you practice with them.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Here is my experience with both heads on whitetails. Haven't gotten to try them on Elk. First doe I shot with a G5 just behind the front leg. Arrow didn't pass through. Tough blood trail, coyotes got to her before I did.[:@] On the plus side, G5's fly truer to field points than anything I've shot to date and I've tried a bunch of them.

Next doe, Muzzy 3 blade, a little farther back in the rib cage. Complete pass through, easy blood trail, steaks and chops sizzling on the grill.

In all fairness, the Muzzy didn't shoot as well as the Montec and when shooting the Muzzy, I had cranked up the poundage from 55 to 60 pounds. At 60 pounds the G5's still flew perfect.

The reason I went to Muzzys on the second deer was that I wasn't convinced that the G5's were sharp enough. I've since been sent the way to make them really sharp and won't have a problem going back to them. I'll try to cut and past the proceedure if your intested.

And finally,
Welcome to the wonderful world of bowhunting!
Old 12-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]