Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Are there any boots in the world that can keep your feet warm all day???!!!??? >

Are there any boots in the world that can keep your feet warm all day???!!!???

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Are there any boots in the world that can keep your feet warm all day???!!!???

Old 11-09-2003, 09:14 PM

Default RE: Are there any boots in the world that can keep your feet warm all day???!!!???

I work in boots more than I hunt in them, @ 80hrs./week. In rain, sleet, snow, I' ve seen a little of all of it. Even when standing or sitting outside for long periods without movement I' ve found that my Irish Setters with 1000gr. Thinsulate ultra and gore-tex do it all. My feet didn' t sweat the other night walking about 6 miles in 65 degree weather at work. and they werent cold last winter in the ice storms we had.Oh yea, I work for the railroad and we are out in it all whether we like it or not.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are there any boots in the world that can keep your feet warm all day???!!!???

Get yourself a pair of Arctic Shield Boot Blankets,
they are lightweight and can be rolled up and
carried in your daypack.
Ditto on that comment. I picked up a pair last week and had my first opportunity to use them this past Saturday. The difference being in how I used them. I used a pair of rubber marsh boots to cross a small creek early in the morning. Then once I got up in my stand I took off the rubber boots and slipped on the boot blankets. My feet were warm and toasty all morning. I also saw someone mention the idea of putting some chemical warmers in there as well....a great idea in my opinion.

At $50 they are a great alternative.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

One tip that I haven' t seen here.......Your boots, with whatever you' re wearing on your feet CAN' T be tight or snug. Your feet need to have some room. I put on my thin sock, and then my thermal(thick) sock and then buy a boot a 1/2 to whole size larger! Makes all the difference. I hunt from 0 to 32 degrees often!

Good Luck!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve post this tip before and it REALLY helps any boot or sock combination you use.

Simply buy a can of spray anti-perspirant and spray your feet before you dress.

No, don' t use deodorant, use anti-perspirant. Deodorant simply masks the smell. Anti-perspirant actually prevents your feet from sweating.

Sweating is the culprit. Once your feet get wet, it is hard for any boot to function effectively.

Old 11-18-2003, 05:19 AM

One thing I found is spend some extra money a buy a good pair of Merino Wool socks. I bought some pairs at Wal-Mart made by Woolrich. They are about 80% Merino Wool and 20% Polypropelene. The polypro wicks away moisture and the Merino woool insulates great. I usually only have to wear these socks even on the coldest days. I found out about Merino wool from a buddy who talked with a representative from Rocky Boots when he was buying a pair of Rubber boots. My buddy told him about him always having cold feet and the guy from Rocky told him to buy these Merino wool socks and only wear these socks nothing else with the boots and if my buddy still had cold feet the Guy from Rocky gave my buddy his business card and told hime that he would refund the money for the $100 boots and the socks. Well my buddy never got his money back because they worked like a charm, and I can back that up since I' ve started using them. Try and find a pair of socks with the highest percentage ofMerino wool in them. I think the Woolrich ones I got at wal-mart were around 7 bucks.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

Lacrosse Burly ATS rubber boots with 1200gm of thinsulate. Warmest thing I' ve ever had on my feet. I sat in my treestand in blowing snow for up to six hours (Laurel Mountain) and never had a problem with my feet. Sure they were cold but not uncomfortable cold. These boots are great. Not anything like a " rubber boot" .
Old 11-19-2003, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only thing that I' ll add is get some great socks. I personally use thorlo' s. If it' s cold, I' ll use a sock liner and a cold weather sock in my 600 grain danner boots. That combo is good down to 20 or so. After that I' ll use the same sock combo with my 1200 gram Bass Pro Bone Dry Boots. It don' t get colder then about zero around here. If it' s over about 40 I' ll just wear a pair of thorlo uniform socks. Just make sure that your socks are made of synthetic material and not natural material like cottom. It' s really important. I' m only talking about tree stand hunting here.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:19 PM

One other tip I forgot to mention. Never use foot powder! It clogs the breathability of both the gore-tex and the cambrelle lining that helps to keep your feet dry.

Just thought I' d mention that.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:09 PM

One answer is Norther outfitters boots. These are the best and you feet will stay warm. I use these in saskatchewan every year and am always comfy. Check out Northernoutfitters.com.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:10 PM

Lot' s of posts have talked about socks, and keeping your feet dry. Well, one of the advantages of wool is that even when full of water they don' t feel wet and still insulate. But even better than Merino wool is cashmere - they are expensive as heck but cashmere socks with about 10 - 20% nylon are super warm. I think on the web you can find some in the $50 range that are made from New Zealand cashmere that they claim is tougher than the Mongolian kind. I have tried them and they are good - not quite as good a feel as the $150 Holland and Holland cashmere and 10% Lycra socks, but they work well.

I have a pair of mukluks made in Canada that I got after I saw some ski lift attendants wearing them. The cheaper ones come with wool felt booties inside a nylon canvas and rubber exterior. The more expensive ones I have use some kind of double wool bootie that is not wool felt. They were very expensive (I bought them maybe fifteen years ago and they were $200 + then). They are not pleasant to walk in for any distance (no support), but standing around in real cold, sitting in a cold stadium, on a stand or riding a snowmobile they are superb.

Filson also makes an expensive hunting boot that is lined with wool. Classic, perhaps heavier than Thinsulate, but they work well and reliably, even when damp from outside or inside.

I am not sure if you have heard about the iceman found in the early nineties in the Italian Alps - I forget how old the body was - somewhere in the vicinity of 5,000 years. His boots were made of bearskin, treebark, and insulated with a soft meadow hay. Recently some Czechs made replicas and said they were very warm - but leaked water.

Finally, listen to whoever said make sure the boot is not too tight, and make sure you have a good hat - your brain has first call on your body heat.

Quick Reply: Are there any boots in the world that can keep your feet warm all day???!!!???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.