Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
Perry's NoPeep sighting system >

Perry's NoPeep sighting system

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Perry's NoPeep sighting system

Old 05-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Perry's NoPeep sighting system

Has anyone used this system? I see they now make an alignment pin only (APO) which is the rear portion of their complete system to use with your existing sight.
Just for kicks I put an old target sight on my bow in reverse and used a pin like this PNP system. But I still looked through my peep because I didn't want to remove it yet. Of course my rear pin was not a fiber optic so I was having a bit of difficulty aligning/seeing it because of the 3 planes of focus (rear pin, front pin, target).
Do those using it have any problems with this with the fiber optic pin on the back?
I'm all for improving my accuracy any way possible for the animal's sake. But I don't want to throw away my money on a gimmick.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always had doubts about the PNP system. True, it can elminate the peep, but no matter how you look at it (pun??) you still have to anchor correctly and then line up two points to get accuracy. Being one of those guys that rarely pay attention to the sight I don't think it would help me.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 100% gimmick...

These things can be more accurate than a poorly sized peep that doesn't match your eye relief and sight housing, but for a well sized peep sight, you are giving up accuracy to use this type of product.

Whether it's Perry's No Peep, the Hindsight, the Peep Eliminator, or some other similar product, you're converting your "rifle" into a "pistol" by cutting down your sight radius drastically.

A poorly sized peep sight will leave a lot of "float" around the outside of your bowsight housing (too large or too close to the eye), or might even be SMALLER than the housing (too small or too far from the eye). Precise alignment is difficult in that case, so repeatability with a poorly sized peep will be difficult, and accuracy suffers.

BUT YOU HAVE A ~30" SIGHT RADIUS!!! That long radius can make up for some of those misalignments. Correct your peep sight size and you have an absolutely minimal margin sight system.

There is a reason why target archers use a long shank on their dovetail sights. The long the sight radius, the better tendency for precision aiming.

Dropping the peep away and going to a "rear sight" system of any kind is cutting that sight radius down to around ~8". I've used them in the past, realized the weakness, and gave up on this type of product.

Some of these products also claim they will eliminate bow torque in your grip, but it's really not true. The precision on them isn't tight enough to eliminate ALL torque, and worse, if you torqued it when you sighted in, you'll forever onward have to perfectly match that torque to line up the sights, and meaning your L-R drift over different pins will be unfixable.

These products really are 100% gimmick.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my buddy's experience with a "rear sight" bowsight. He tried a Hindsight and said that he felt like his instinct was to try to cheat the grip to line up the "sights" when using different pins. He'd heel the bowgrip when he was trying to use his lower sights, and "neck" or "thumb" the bowgrip when he was shooting closer range pins. An archer/bowhunter should use the SAME bowgrip for ALL SHOTS, otherwise he's jacking with his tiller balance and killing his consistency, all of which is going to hurt his accuracy. My buddy used it for a season and gave it up after said he couldn't practice away his "instinctual reaction" to press the bowgrip one way or the other to line up the sights.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 05-15-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

??????????????
Old 06-02-2014, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the thing. IF you use a peep for hunting you will lose some shooting light. A peep is going to be more accurate for shooting dots at a target. I've used the Timberline No Peep and Perrys. Both work. They absolutely show torque. Just the slightest change in hand placement will show up.

Some people can shoot just fine without a peep of any kind. Its all about being 100% repeatable in your form. I disagree 100% that they are a gimmick. They do work. If I was a target shooter I would use a string peep. If you are hunting you do not need to robin hood arrows but need to be consistent and be able to see better the first part and last part of the day. IF so give one of these systems a try.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was going to try a PNP sight but I first thought I would go the least expensive route. I purchased a couple different sized peeps and I found that the 1/4" hole diameter is perfect for my draw and sight housing setup. The Ring around my sight housing matches the hole in the peep. I can determine immediately if I have proper alignment.
And although I shot well before out to 40 and 50 yards, my groups are even tighter now that I have the correct size peep.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I was going to try a PNP sight but I first thought I would go the least expensive route. I purchased a couple different sized peeps and I found that the 1/4" hole diameter is perfect for my draw and sight housing setup. The Ring around my sight housing matches the hole in the peep. I can determine immediately if I have proper alignment.
And although I shot well before out to 40 and 50 yards, my groups are even tighter now that I have the correct size peep.
It's amazing how much difference a properly sized peep can make!

I think Kybuckhunter is misunderstanding what 'gimmick' might mean. The bow mounted 'peep eliminator' systems claim to improve accuracy - his own thread admits that they don't do that. That's a gimmick to me. I also would much rather miss on paper or foam than I would on a target with a pulse, so I'd much rather have the more accurate set up on my hunting bow, rather than settling for a less accurate system. I've personally never had an issue with light gathering through a peep - that's an issue of your peep being too far from your eye, and/or too small diameter, i.e. poorly set up.

Shooting without any sights of any kind can work, but it's not as accurate as a well-matched bowsight housing and peep arrangement. I'd never stray from that.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
It's amazing how much difference a properly sized peep can make!

I think Kybuckhunter is misunderstanding what 'gimmick' might mean. The bow mounted 'peep eliminator' systems claim to improve accuracy - his own thread admits that they don't do that. That's a gimmick to me. I also would much rather miss on paper or foam than I would on a target with a pulse, so I'd much rather have the more accurate set up on my hunting bow, rather than settling for a less accurate system. I've personally never had an issue with light gathering through a peep - that's an issue of your peep being too far from your eye, and/or too small diameter, i.e. poorly set up.

Shooting without any sights of any kind can work, but it's not as accurate as a well-matched bowsight housing and peep arrangement. I'd never stray from that.
I agree a string peep will be a little more accurate. Thats only because of the longer distance from the string to the front sight. That doesn't mean the No Peep type sights are not accurate. I can shoot about as well with one as the other. My groups may be slightly more open but not by much. I can still hit a quarter sized dot at thirty yards with high regularity. If someone is worried about not being accurate enough to hunt with then lay your worries to rest.

I don't care what size peep you use, you will lose some light over not looking through one. I shoot a 1/4 inch peep and it will lose light. It may only be 5-10 minutes but physics do not lie. You can not squeeze as much light through the small peep to your eye. It depends if the extra time in the stand means more than the very small amount of accuracy you may lose.