HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Perry's NoPeep sighting system
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Default 100% gimmick...

These things can be more accurate than a poorly sized peep that doesn't match your eye relief and sight housing, but for a well sized peep sight, you are giving up accuracy to use this type of product.

Whether it's Perry's No Peep, the Hindsight, the Peep Eliminator, or some other similar product, you're converting your "rifle" into a "pistol" by cutting down your sight radius drastically.

A poorly sized peep sight will leave a lot of "float" around the outside of your bowsight housing (too large or too close to the eye), or might even be SMALLER than the housing (too small or too far from the eye). Precise alignment is difficult in that case, so repeatability with a poorly sized peep will be difficult, and accuracy suffers.

BUT YOU HAVE A ~30" SIGHT RADIUS!!! That long radius can make up for some of those misalignments. Correct your peep sight size and you have an absolutely minimal margin sight system.

There is a reason why target archers use a long shank on their dovetail sights. The long the sight radius, the better tendency for precision aiming.

Dropping the peep away and going to a "rear sight" system of any kind is cutting that sight radius down to around ~8". I've used them in the past, realized the weakness, and gave up on this type of product.

Some of these products also claim they will eliminate bow torque in your grip, but it's really not true. The precision on them isn't tight enough to eliminate ALL torque, and worse, if you torqued it when you sighted in, you'll forever onward have to perfectly match that torque to line up the sights, and meaning your L-R drift over different pins will be unfixable.

These products really are 100% gimmick.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my buddy's experience with a "rear sight" bowsight. He tried a Hindsight and said that he felt like his instinct was to try to cheat the grip to line up the "sights" when using different pins. He'd heel the bowgrip when he was trying to use his lower sights, and "neck" or "thumb" the bowgrip when he was shooting closer range pins. An archer/bowhunter should use the SAME bowgrip for ALL SHOTS, otherwise he's jacking with his tiller balance and killing his consistency, all of which is going to hurt his accuracy. My buddy used it for a season and gave it up after said he couldn't practice away his "instinctual reaction" to press the bowgrip one way or the other to line up the sights.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 05-15-2014 at 01:11 PM.