Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

New Martin Onza III Pro

Old 08-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New Martin Onza III Pro

Just received it today. Opened the door early to get the paper and it was setting on the porch. I took me a while to set it up because of the bridged riser I had to cut off part of the retaining ring on my NAP Apache rest in order for it to be set for centershot (with room for adjustment with broadheads later).
Once set up and got the sights close at about 20 feet I moved back to 20 yards. First shot very close to bull. Second shot to verify and 'SMASH' off goes the nock on the first arrow.
The draw with these new Nitro cams is smoother than the MCAT cams on my Firecat. Changing DL was a breeze. Just remove two screws on each cam and rotate the module to where you need it and replace the screws. So easy a caveman can do it.
There was no vibration or hand shock that I could feel even without a stabilizer. I've heard rumors about the finish and the noise being in issue with this model. But the finish on this bow is flawless - no runs, nicks, machining marks etc. and the bow is very quiet. My score is an A+ (Sweet).
I didn't check the DW or the fps yet. That will be reported tomorrow. It is reported that this bow will not achieve the rate IBO speeds. That is to be determined.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I couldn't wait til tomorrow so here it is almost 10 pm and I am posting the Onza's speed. IBO rating for this bow is 330-340 fps. Although the bow is rated at 55-70 lb it is set at a draw weight of 72# (and I still have a lot of room on the limb bolts?) and 27.5" DL. My arrow weight is 403 gr. Avg speed of 5 shots is 282.3 fps.
When I plugged all the figures into the Backcountry Bowhunting calculator (http://backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc) using the 330 and 340 IBO rating I should have gotten somewhere between 281 - 291 fps. Of course these are best estimate calculations and while I didn't quite reach the bow's max IBO rating I did fall in the low end of the range.
One other thing I forgot to mention in my original post is the grip. It is very slim. But even with my fairly large hands it feels really good. It nestles in the hand nicely.

So here is my report on the Onza III Pro
Pros: smooth draw, easily tuned, meets IBO speeds, good workmanship, quiet, comfortable grip

Cons: bridged riser design not suitable for all arrow rests. (Apache, as well as Trophy Taker or similar will need to be altered. I will be calling NAP on this first thing Monday morning)

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-04-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Today: Sunday 10:56 AM I started about 10:00 attempting to BH tune the Onza. I did the walk back yesterday and had a nice veritcle string. I put a 3 blade Muzzy with practice blades on an arrow. Went out to 20 yds and shot a FT the the BH. BH was high & left of the FT. Adjusted the rest and repeat - same thing. Just kept going on and on. BH was always high and left. Now I'm ticked. I put the rest back to where it originally was and went in the house and opened up a pack of 100 gr Magnus Buzzcut Stingers. Shot the FT and put it almost exactly dead center in the bull. Shot the BH and sliced a vane off the FT arrow. Great. Now lets see if it was a fluke. Got another arrow but this time shot the BH first (Momma didn't raise no dummy!) then the FT. Again almost touching - less than 1/4" between them. Now, when I get to the range I will shoot the BH at longer ranges.
So, lesson learned: Always use a new BH when tuning your bow. Always.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-05-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have any other boradheads I would try them, too. I don't know what it is, but I know several people who have had problems getting Muzzy's to fly. They switched to other heads and everything was fine. It's just one of those things that can make you pull your hair out.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BGfisher
If you have any other boradheads I would try them, too. I don't know what it is, but I know several people who have had problems getting Muzzy's to fly. They switched to other heads and everything was fine. It's just one of those things that can make you pull your hair out.
BG - I am going to be hunting with G5 - T3 broadheads this year. I like to tune with the Stingers because they have a broad profile and if I have a tuning issue they will magnify it. Another good tuning (and hunting) broad head is the Muzzy Phantom.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the new bow. I was considering the onza and cougar and ended up going with the Martin cougar. Got it about a month ago and have enjoyed it since.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I remember that HD. You will be happy with your Martin. I really like and enjoy all of mine.