Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Martin Bows

Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Martin Bows

Looking at getting a new Martin Cougar or Onza III. Anyone out there have experience with either one? I currently shoot a Martin Slayer that I have had for about 4 years and really like it. Just looking at getting something newer.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

HD - I have a Martin Buck Hunter, Cheetah, and Firecat. I just love the way they feel and shoot. Last year I had a brand new string explode on the Firecat and cracked one of the limbs. I took it to the shop and Martin sent in new limbs, cams, axles, cables and string. And the parts they sent to the dealer were Onza parts that fit my Firecat's riser. So I basically have an Onza with a Firecat riser. And this bow is nice. Faster than before and so smooth.
But I would shoot them both and see what one YOU like the best.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Ordered the cougar. I like the way it shoots. Not sure if it will be faster than my slayer but will see. Also have a new ripcord rest, tight spot quiver and black gold 7 pin rush sight on the way.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck with the Cougar. Let me know how it shoots. According to Martin it is a fast bow. (345 IBO or so.) It will be interesting to see how the Ripcord rest is with it. I had trouble with my ripcord and swapped it in for a NAP Apache. I believe the Ripcord wasn't dropping fast enough and was giving me fletching contact. Once I swapped th rests out I had no tuning trouble.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

bronko, I will let you know how everything works. Was shooting a ripcord on my slayer from the start 4 years ago. Have not had a problem so far. I got the ripcord, black gold rush sight and the tight spot quiver yesterday. Waiting on the cougar to ship. hopefully beginning of next week. The slayer has been a great bow and Martin Archery has always treated me fair. That is the main reason I am staying with them. Was the ripcord you were using the older style or the new code red version? They claim no bounce back issues with the code red. Some fallaways tend to have the arrow holder bounce back up contacting vanes on the arrows.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe it was the older style (the body was a copper color). And bounce back could have been the problem. But now I love my NAP Apache rests. I have 3 of them now.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

had one long ago and liked it very well i think they are a good bow .
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Got the cougar, and it shoots great. 308 fps from my 385 grain arrows. 70 lbs and 30.5 inch draw.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

HD that surprises me. That is a bit slower than the IBO rated speed of 335-345. You're shooting 1/2" longer draw and an arrow that is only 35 gr over the IBO std. You should be getting somewhere around 330 fps. Is your ATA length OK?
Using the below calculator with my new Onza III by plugging in my draw length and draw weight the IBO rating, I came up with a figure on my chrony that was just a hair above the lower IBO rating. You can read my posts on the Onza in this forum.
http://backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/
Old 08-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Bronko, all the specs check out. Not sure why but even my slayer rated at 350 would only yield a 314 fps with the same 385 grain arrow. Only thing added to string was a D loop and peep without tubing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.