Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Martin Bows

Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

HD - I've seen even on the review for the Onza that the reviewer stated IBO speed were not attainable by him. It very well may be something about my bow that allows it to reach the IBO rating. I did notice that although it is rated at 55-70#, I cranked it all the way up and even at 28" got 73.5#. I currently have it backed down to a comfortable 65#. Plenty of juice for whtietails. I shot my last 5 buck using my Cheetah set at 53#.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

The cougar shoots great. I'm happy with the 308 fps. Sighted in out to 80 yards and ready for archery antelope season that starts august 15th here in Montana.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by HDMontana
The cougar shoots great. I'm happy with the 308 fps. Sighted in out to 80 yards and ready for archery antelope season that starts august 15th here in Montana.
Wow - only a couple more days left. Good luck. I was out last evening shooting my Onza and got the 20 and 30 yd pins sighted in. Later when this thunder storm passes I will get the 40 and 50 and maybe the 60 sighted in.
I may do some sight pin adjustments though because there is only about 1 1/2" drop from 20 to 30 yds. Those 2 pins are virtually touching. So much so that the 20 yd pin obliterates the target at 20 yds. I might just use my first pin at 30 and just hold low for 20 yds. But I have to see how high I will be at 15 or closer.
Hunting from a treestand these whitetails sometimes have a habit of getting in close. I had an 8 pt come straight in a couple years ago and actually sniff the base of my tree. I was watching him between my feet. He finally started walking off and I drew back and tracked him and about 15 - 17 yds he turned broadside and attempted to pick up an acorn (I guess) when my Stinger zipped thru his boiler room.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-12-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

On my Slayet, I Han to start at 30 yards. Couldn't get pins close enough for 20 and 30 yards. I did on the Cougar but they are close together.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, misspelled Slayer.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 30 yd as my first pin works out good for me. Only about 1" high at 20 and 2" at 15 yds. So now I have pins set at 30 - 60 yds in 10 yd increments. I still have a 70 yd pin to set but I was getting a bit tired so I didn't want to push it.
I found out one thing though that was driving me crazy. The Nocturnal lighted nock are great out to 30 yds. But after that they cause the arrow to actually impact HIGHER than a regular nock. That 7-8 grains of extra weight on the butt I guess causes the arrow to hit higher. We are only talking a couple inches but when you're trying to sight in that is a lot. Found out something else too. I was shooting my BHs. I had 2 Magnus Stingers and a G5 T3. Shot them at 40 yds. One stinger and the T3 hit the 3" bull but the other stinger was 2" low and left. I kept it separate and shot all 3 again with the same result. Just for giggles, I switched the stingers on the two arrows and all 3 BH went in the bull. I can't explain that one at all. Thinking it may have been an out of square insert face but it would have affected the other stinger as well.