Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

rage

Old 11-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Obviously not. I don't mean to sound rude, but your posts clearly explain what you do and do not know.

Please explain to me what I do or do not know about shoulder shots?

My belief is that ALL BH's can run into penetration problems in this area.

What is yours? Can you answer the question below

Can all BH's run into penetration problems if you hit the wrong thing in the shoulder?

By not answering are you trying to tell me that you believe there is a "magical" BH that can guarantee you blowing through heavy bone in the shoulder and passing through everytime?

Who is more educated:

A. The guy that believes that you can run into penetration problems when hitting deer in the shoulder when you hit the wrong stuff in that area.

or

B. The guy that believes as long as you use the right BH that you don't have to worry about hitting deer in the shoulder no matter what you hit in that area.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by annika3
Who is more educated:

The person who is more educated is the one who "plans for the worst but hopes for the best". Its really common sense annika. I rather shocked you have such trouble grasping it. This is what I mean when I tell folks to do a search on your name and rage.

I have no idea why you keep coming back to shoulders. Its almost like you have OCD and can't keep from saying "shoulders".

Every year, you see a whole slu of folks crying the blues over rage. I do give the rage folks one thing. They have a great advertising agency. Top notch. I bet they could sell ice to inuits.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

The person who is more educated is the one who "plans for the worst but hopes for the best". Its really common sense annika. I rather shocked you have such trouble grasping it. This is what I mean when I tell folks to do a search on your name and rage.

I have no idea why you keep coming back to shoulders. Its almost like you have OCD and can't keep from saying "shoulders".

Every year, you see a whole slu of folks crying the blues over rage. I do give the rage folks one thing. They have a great advertising agency. Top notch. I bet they could sell ice to inuits.
I'm rather shocked that you have such trouble grasping that hitting deer in the shoulder area can have penetration problems with any BH.

Why can't you answer my simple question?

By the way, I'm not the one bringing up Rage BH's all the time, you are!

I've said it many, many times, this is not about Rage it's about all BH's and penetration on bad shots in the shoulder.

Does Rage get poor penetration when hitting heavy bone in the shoulder? ABSOLUTELY.......but so does every BH.

If you don't want to admit it, fine but trying to convince people that using a certain BH will blow through heavy bone in the shoulder is just not right IMO.

Good luck and may your arrow never hit the heavy bone of the shoulder.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Bigcountry
"I have no idea why you keep coming back to shoulders."

Because this is the shot that causes the most problem with hunters and seems is the least understood.

You hit a deer anywhere behind the shoulder and passthroughs are common with all BH"s at all speeds with any KE. But hit it in the shoulder area and you hear a multiple of different results ranging from:

"Blew through both shoulders and had a complete passthrough"

to

"My arrow only penetrated 2" and fell right out" (happened to me with a Muzzy but was NOT Muzzy's fault, it was mine).

The question is why do we get such opposite results with basically the same shot?

Answer = because when you hit the shoulder area you might hit nothing hard which will give you a passthrough or you may hit solid heavy bone and stop the arrow instantly. Both of these results can come from basically the exact shot. Alot depends on what the deer is doing at impact and what position the deers leg/legs are at impact.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
bigcountry

I'm rather shocked that you have such trouble grasping that hitting deer in the shoulder area can have penetration problems with any BH.

Why can't you answer my simple question?

By the way, I'm not the one bringing up Rage BH's all the time, you are!

I've said it many, many times, this is not about Rage it's about all BH's and penetration on bad shots in the shoulder.

Does Rage get poor penetration when hitting heavy bone in the shoulder? ABSOLUTELY.......but so does every BH.

If you don't want to admit it, fine but trying to convince people that using a certain BH will blow through heavy bone in the shoulder is just not right IMO.

Good luck and may your arrow never hit the heavy bone of the shoulder.
Because I have nothing to prove to you. I am not trying to hock something or pimp a certain product like you.

If you have trouble with what another says, talk to them. I never said anything about shoulders. But for some reason you keep coming back to it like an insane person.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Because I have nothing to prove to you. I am not trying to hock something or pimp a certain product like you.

If you have trouble with what another says, talk to them. I never said anything about shoulders. But for some reason you keep coming back to it like an insane person.

I haven't tried to pimp anything and if I have please show me where on this thread that I have tried?

Are you going to answer the question?

Can all BH's run into penetration problems if you hit the wrong thing (heavy bone) in the shoulder?

If you don't want to just say so and we can move on.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Spike

Default Big waste of time

Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah,Blah. This is the dumbest arguement I have ever heard. Can't you find something more important to gripe about? Maybe the best cereal, Cheerios or Wheaties? Every time there is a Rage post the bashers come out of the woodwork. No other BH post gets as much attention as Rage, if you don't like them why do you think everyone needs to know why you don't like them? Don't shoot them and stop all the BS. Have a great day!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I understand that you can blow through both shoulders if you don't hit major bone. I also understand that you can get 2" of penetration in the shoulder by hitting the wrong thing. That is with a Rage or a ST.

When you say "blow through both shoulders" do YOU understand that probably means you didn't hit any major bone and most, if not all, BH's with "gobs" of KE can do this?
Do YOU understand that I was the one that shot the deer and know that both shoulder blades were solidly hit and both were completely penetrated with one shoulder bone completely shattered as if it were shot with a bullet?????? When I say I blew through both shoulders I mean through both shoulder blades. This isn't the first or the last deer that I will aim for the shoulder on. I use equipment that will allow me to do this on deer. If I were using equipment that were not up to the task I wouldn't do it.

I have shot deer straight down through the spine and had them exit the bottom of the chest. I have shot several deer and had the broadhead shatter the elbow knuckle, above it, and below it and keep going.
It has been proven time and time again in various materials from wood to steel to actual shoulder blades that the rage and similar broadheads suffer from a lack of penetration when compared to fixed blade heads of similar cutting ability.

Certain broadhead designs will absolutely penetrate bone better than others and will allow a shooter to take shots that would be marginal with lesser broadheads. Like I said... it has been proven time and time again by people with far better credentials than yours or mine. If you don't know this to be true then you just haven't shot enough broadheads or researched anything past the rage..
Old 11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
bigcountry

I haven't tried to pimp anything and if I have please show me where on this thread that I have tried?

Are you going to answer the question?

Can all BH's run into penetration problems if you hit the wrong thing (heavy bone) in the shoulder?

If you don't want to just say so and we can move on.
I mean are you going to answer the question? I can only assume that you won't answer the question on "drinking and driving is dangerous", you are for it. Your line of questioning is about like that. Yes, it is. I am not sure how to make it more clear. I never brought up shoulder shots. Is there any other language you need it wrote in to grasp it? Are you really this dense you need strangers on the internet to explain to you like a child about shoulder shots? Do you seriously lack the experience that you need to ask on an open forum?

Old 11-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Funny story, not really funny, more ironic.

I switched to Rage 2b for a season, what the heck.

Opening day doe, broadside at 15 yards, let her rip, pass through, literally see blood exploding from both sides as she bolts.

Hot day, get down immediately to go fetch some ice, positive that doe is down within 50 yards.
Return 30 mins later and go to where I last saw the doe, no blood, back track to site of shot, disgusting amounts of blood.
After 30 yards or so the blood trail completely vanished, followed every trail into the crp and never found another drop of blood, never recovered that doe.

Fast forward 12 days, still using Rage, nice 8 point comes into horns, presents me with a 12 yard quartering on shot, let her rip, hit shoulder, see blood spewing like crazy, see buck go down at 80 yards.

Fast forward 13 months, back to my 3 blade Muzzy, tremendous buck comes in, but going to pass out of range, redirect him with a bleat, buck presents me with an 18 yard quartering on shot, let her rip, never recovered that buck.
All in all we tracked that buck aprox 2 miles.
These were slight quartering on shots, 8 point left quarter, big buck right quarter, same angle.

Friend looked at the doe Rage and said one side didn't open because only one side of the 0-ring was broken.
I said BS, I saw the blood spewing out, both blades had to of opened.
Now on the 8 point, the o-ring was gone, so IDK.

Oh the irony