Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

rage

Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by annika3
25 years and no penetration complaints? It happens with ALL bh's and if you haven't heard then you sure aren't in the loop with many bowhunters.

Not pimping them just trying to make sure people, like yourself, understand that when shooting deer and you hit them in the shoulder area that bad things can happen to ALL BH's. Rage included.

I don't see that is pimping. I see that is telling the truth and educating others.
But how can you educate when you need an education? You can't get an average 6th grader to educate college students on calculus.

Possibly I am in the loop with many bowhunters and you are not? Or possibly worst. I am just suggesting people do a search on your name and rage. It pretty well tells the whole story.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
But how can you educate when you need an education? You can't get an average 6th grader to educate college students on calculus.

Possibly I am in the loop with many bowhunters and you are not? Or possibly worst. I am just suggesting people do a search on your name and rage. It pretty well tells the whole story.
The difference is that one of us is just making it personal and one of us is trying to explain what can happen when any/all BH's hit the shoulder area.

Answer the question below for me:

"Any BH can get little to no penetration if you hit the wrong thing in the shoulder area". Yes I agree, No I disagree. If no please explain

By the way, no where did I say "SHOOT RAGE, SHOOT RAGE!" but you sure are trying to make it out that way.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:28 PM
bigcountry

The difference is that one of us is just making it personal and one of us is trying to explain what can happen when any/all BH's hit the shoulder area.

Answer the question below for me:

"Any BH can get little to no penetration if you hit the wrong thing in the shoulder area". Yes I agree, No I disagree. If no please explain

By the way, no where did I say "SHOOT RAGE, SHOOT RAGE!" but you sure are trying to make it out that way.
First, I never said my friend hit the shoulder. He told me he hit a little high quartering away. Maybe you feel quartering away is a shoulder shot, but I highly disagree. But you feel it was a shoulder shot.

I think he hit under the spine at a joint of ribs and the spinal column the way he explained it to me. Poor shot no doubt. I would bet any day of the week and twice on sunday I could penetrate enough on that shot to kill that deer with magnus, montecs, thunderheads, muzzy, slicktricks, etc. If you couldn't, so be it. I know I can, because I have before. The deer in question has been spotted since then and surprisingly alive.

This is the same guy that has been trying to tell everyone since he went to rages, you never loose a deer. I didn't say a word, I just grinned when he said never year, he is changing.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Out of five guys I know that have tried them all but one have gone back to fixed blades because of penitration issues! Glad I never bought in to the hype and saved myself alot of money.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

First, I never said my friend hit the shoulder. He told me he hit a little high quartering away. Maybe you feel quartering away is a shoulder shot, but I highly disagree. But you feel it was a shoulder shot.

I think he hit under the spine at a joint of ribs and the spinal column the way he explained it to me. Poor shot no doubt. I would bet any day of the week and twice on sunday I could penetrate enough on that shot to kill that deer with magnus, montecs, thunderheads, muzzy, slicktricks, etc. If you couldn't, so be it. I know I can, because I have before. The deer in question has been spotted since then and surprisingly alive.

This is the same guy that has been trying to tell everyone since he went to rages, you never loose a deer. I didn't say a word, I just grinned when he said never year, he is changing.

Just wanted you to answer the simple question:

Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM
bigcountry

Just wanted you to answer the simple question:

Why are you asking me? I never said anything about hitting the shoulder area??? Why do you keep bring up a shoulder shot???

Knock on wood, I have penetrated the scapula a few times, penetrated the shoulder knuckle before. But I don't use crap mechanicals either.

Been there, done that, got educated.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I typically blow right through the shoulder with slick tricks. In fact, I don't hesitate to aim for the shoulder if the deer is quartering to. I blew through both shoulders of a nice doe opening day this year. She ran off with one leg flopping around like she was shot with a rifle.

Granted I am pushing a lot of arrow and generate gobs of KE and momentum but I sure wouldn't aim for the shoulder with a flimsy mechanical.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Why are you asking me? I never said anything about hitting the shoulder area??? Why do you keep bring up a shoulder shot???

Knock on wood, I have penetrated the scapula a few times, penetrated the shoulder knuckle before. But I don't use crap mechanicals either.

Been there, done that, got educated.

I know you didn't say hitting the shoulder but by the sounds of it your buddy hit too far forward and hit heavy bone in the shoulder to get only a few inches of penetration. That is why I'm asking the question:

Get educated? Not sure what you mean by that because I understand the problems ANY BH can run into hitting the wrong thing in the shoulder.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I typically blow right through the shoulder with slick tricks. In fact, I don't hesitate to aim for the shoulder if the deer is quartering to. I blew through both shoulders of a nice doe opening day this year. She ran off with one leg flopping around like she was shot with a rifle.

Granted I am pushing a lot of arrow and generate gobs of KE and momentum but I sure wouldn't aim for the shoulder with a flimsy mechanical.
This isn't an argument for Rage and certainly not a mechanical vs fixed argument. It's simply trying to explain penetration into the shoulder area with any and all BH's.

With that being said your above comment is about the most irresponsible comment I've heard in a long time and certainly not something that beginners need to hear. That makes it sound like "just get an arrow in him and don't worry about the consequences".

I understand that you can blow through both shoulders if you don't hit major bone. I also understand that you can get 2" of penetration in the shoulder by hitting the wrong thing. That is with a Rage or a ST.

When you say "blow through both shoulders" do YOU understand that probably means you didn't hit any major bone and most, if not all, BH's with "gobs" of KE can do this?

I'm not trying to continue the argument but trying to make sure that bowhunters aren't confused about shoulder shots and the penetration in this area.

Again, one time you can get a complete passthrough in the shoulder area and the next time get 2" of penetration with basically the exact same shot with the same BH. Most of the time it has nothing to do with the BH. Most of the time it's LUCK on what you hit or don't hit that determines a passthrough or not.

Last edited by annika3; 11-23-2010 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:22 AM
bigcountry

Get educated? Not sure what you mean by that because I understand the problems ANY BH can run into hitting the wrong thing in the shoulder.
Obviously not. I don't mean to sound rude, but your posts clearly explain what you do and do not know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.