HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - rage
Thread: rage
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

I understand that you can blow through both shoulders if you don't hit major bone. I also understand that you can get 2" of penetration in the shoulder by hitting the wrong thing. That is with a Rage or a ST.

When you say "blow through both shoulders" do YOU understand that probably means you didn't hit any major bone and most, if not all, BH's with "gobs" of KE can do this?
Do YOU understand that I was the one that shot the deer and know that both shoulder blades were solidly hit and both were completely penetrated with one shoulder bone completely shattered as if it were shot with a bullet?????? When I say I blew through both shoulders I mean through both shoulder blades. This isn't the first or the last deer that I will aim for the shoulder on. I use equipment that will allow me to do this on deer. If I were using equipment that were not up to the task I wouldn't do it.

I have shot deer straight down through the spine and had them exit the bottom of the chest. I have shot several deer and had the broadhead shatter the elbow knuckle, above it, and below it and keep going.
I've said it many, many times, this is not about Rage it's about all BH's and penetration on bad shots in the shoulder.
It has been proven time and time again in various materials from wood to steel to actual shoulder blades that the rage and similar broadheads suffer from a lack of penetration when compared to fixed blade heads of similar cutting ability.

If you don't want to admit it, fine but trying to convince people that using a certain BH will blow through heavy bone in the shoulder is just not right IMO.
Certain broadhead designs will absolutely penetrate bone better than others and will allow a shooter to take shots that would be marginal with lesser broadheads. Like I said... it has been proven time and time again by people with far better credentials than yours or mine. If you don't know this to be true then you just haven't shot enough broadheads or researched anything past the rage..