Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need some advice

Old 06-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Need some advice

I recently put a bow (Hoyt) on layaway and i actually got to shoot it and it was both really fun and excited. I found that holding the bow straight (has level marker) and that both my arms got tired after an hour of shooting. My question is what can i do to help get more strength so i can hold the bow longer. I was thinking maybe holding a weight up with my left arm (I am right handed) for awhile or something. What would work the best?
Old 06-20-2003, 07:26 AM

Default RE: Need some advice

Shoot as much as possible, that will strengthen the muscles you need to hold the bow. Dont shoot if you start to get really tired, your form will fall apart as your muscles get more fatigued. practice often and quit when you tire, because you only want to shoot with your best form. You will notice that you can shoot longer after a short time. Good luck[8D]
Old 06-20-2003, 08:54 AM

i would not shoot for much more than an hour at a time. you don' t want to shoot when you are tired because you lose focus and develop bad habits.
i shoot for an hour or so and then take a break and come back in 20 or 30 min. it keeps me fresh -- but as to your questions just keep shooting and the strength will come. start with a lower poundage and work your self up to where you want to be.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your arms get tired after an hour of shooting?

That reminds me of the old joke," Hey Doc, my arm hurts when I do it like this."

Would that be an hour nonstop? or are you at the range with other people? How many arrows do you shoot before your arms get tired?
Old 06-20-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could it be the new bow is heavier than your old one? Or maybe your form was off and now you can see that so you are useing different muscles that are not used to it.

Uh-oh I just figured it out... man, when people get old their body starts aching...LOL
Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 AM

I agree with all of the above - Keep shooting smart and often, and before long you' ll be solid as a rock!
Old 06-20-2003, 04:04 PM

you could try curling weights. hold a dumbell (one hand weight) in your left hand and lift from Thy to shoulder repeatedly until you can' t stand it any more. Keep on lifting every day until you are satisfied with your strength to hold the bow for long enough.
Old 06-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your arms get tired after an hour of shooting?
Yes it did because I never shot a compound bow until that day.

I went and shot again yesterday for two hours and now my left arm is sore lol. I was going to go today but think i' ll take a break for today. Going to get it finally out of the shop within the next couple of days. I think the hardest part for me so far is getting the sight (the shop has an indoor shooting range has an 20 hard max only) to be right on the spot. Thus far its about an 1/2-inch off so if i can get it within right on the money or at least 1/4 of an inch, i' ll be content with that. I plan to start working out and such because i am pretty smalled framed for my size. I am bout 5' 11" and 145 lbs [:' (]