Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 fixed blade broadheads in a crossbow? >

fixed blade broadheads in a crossbow?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

fixed blade broadheads in a crossbow?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fixed blade broadheads in a crossbow?

Been shooting muzzy's for 20 friggin years... NEVER had anything but great arrow flight!!! Every one spinns perfect!!!

I've shot every size from 90's to 130's...

Not a better broadhead on the market as far as I'm concerened...

If your having prob with Muzzy's flying... It's prob not the broadhead
Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: fixed blade broadheads in a crossbow?

Longbeard, I respect your "20 friggin years" but I have to disagree with your claim that every one spins perfect. In my 17 years of experience I have never seen any broadhead company make perfect broadheads 100% of the time. Certainly not Muzzy. I know they are good heads but I have seen too many of them not spin true even after double checking the arrows straightness and squaring up the inserts.

With regard to the steel washers on the Slick Tricks. Yes they are there to retain the blades and to protect your arrows insert but if you screw your ST on and it wobbles slightly you can defenetly loosen the broadhead, spin the washer slightly and instantly straighten out any wobble it may have.

Every bow hunter needs an inexpensive arrow spinner if they are going to shoot broadheads, mechanical or fixed.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about you... But I'm not shooting my bow at atlanticc city for thousands of dollars lol...

I'm shooting at a deer at 15-20 yards 99.9% of the time...

My Muzzy's have never let me down if I do my part...

As far a spin test... If I have one that spins a little funny... I've fixed the prob by heating up my insert and just turning is a little...

I guess you cant do that if you shoot carbons huh???
Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 AM
BFR
Spike

A friend of mine had to use a crossbow after shoulder surgery 4 years. When practicing with his broadheads, they planed all over the place, so I gave him some of my slick tricks to try because I heard they plane, even at high speed. They flew just like his fieldpoints. We were both impressed. He didn't get a shot at a deer that year, but we've used them ever since with compound bows and they live up to their reputation for perfect flight and devastating wound channels.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tried to set n Xbow up for a friend, when I thought it was good I added 100 grn thunderhead. It was anybody's guess where it was going. I'd stick with whatever head is the most forgiving.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Spike

Before having to go the a Xbow (I'm 82) I used Muzzy's and had excellent luck with them. As the Lord blessed me with more birthdays I lightened the draw weight and shortened the draw length until I felt more comfortable with a cut-on-contact head. When I went to the Xbow I tried the Muzzy's but they did not fly consistently. Tried Grim Reaper and Slick Tricks. Both shot well, but ST's were best. Had been considering going to Rage, but am going to stick with the slick tricks. I had nothing but good results with the Muzzy's, and never had to worry about losing a blade. Did often sharpen the new blades. By the way, there are plastic washers out there that ou can put between the BH and arrow to help align the head if necessary.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Spike

I purchased an Excalibur Phoenix package that included 150 gr field points which I have found to be extremely accurate: even shooting off-hand I can expect the bolts to group within 1" out to 30 yards.

In preparation for hunting season I purchased the Excalibur recommended 150 gr "bolt cutter" fixed blade broadheads: shooting off-hand I am able to group within 3" out to 30 yards. They are not quite as accurate as the field-points but plenty accurate enough for hunting.

While the crossbow would likely remain accurate to 40 yards and beyond, I have no intention of shooting over 30 yards: the noise from the shot is so loud (compared to my Hoyt compound bow) that I am concerned about the deer "jumping the string" before the bolt arrives.

Practically, 30 yards is plenty for my typical opportunities. I took my first deer with the crossbow (a doe) with a broad-side shot at 15 yards on my second day out in the early PA season. It was a double lung pass-through with a massive entry and exit wound from the bolt-cutter broadhead: I found the bolt with the broadhead buried in the dirt the next morning. The doe ran about 35-40 yards and then collapsed.

As with the compound bow, distance estimation is critical for the crossbow: I used the 20 yard cross-hairs for the 15 yard shot and hit about 1 1/2" higher than I aimed. However, the crossbow accuracy with the bolt-cutter broadheads gives me confidence that I will make a kill shot (it also helps that there is very little left/right deviation with the crossbow as compared to a compound bow shot with less than perfect form).
Old 10-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Slick Tricks in my Horton - they fly exactly like field points. No complaints here, but each x-bow is different, so you have to see for yourself. I've also used mechanicals, and had success with both types of broadheads. Shot placement is key. I've found too with x-bows, because they are so much louder than a compound, long bow or recurve, deer tend to jump the string easier so you have to be much more careful.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:34 AM
Spike

Hello!
I also agree 100% with Rev (which is hard to do, doesn't it?
Goood luck!