Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Monster

Old 08-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

its a fine bow if you like that short brace height , its not a bow for me .
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Its not a bow for everyone, I personally shot just about every bow on the market, and i purchased a monster, It works for me. I like the harder draw, lets me know im back, also people talking about shock are funny, put a dead stop and stabalizer and you aint feeling much of anything, if so i think its your head. I also find it funny comparing the PSE to it, they look alike yes but the cams are completely different. I do find if funny how a lot of people dont like Mathews if there not shooting one, but Mathews fans always remain faithful and dont curse other bows as much, or maybe thats all i read. Either way the bow shoots well, very fast, Yes, but i think the best quality about the bow is very accurate, i have been shooting for 15yrs and it is by far the most consistant bow. Its quiet and it is a versitile bow, at least for me. Its a bow i can use for 3D, whitetails and Elk, with out changing a thing. I had some initial issues with the set up, but that was my pro shops fault not the bow, once i got that under control i am extremely happy with the bow. This bow is not for the guy that struggles pulling a string though, it is a hard drawcycle and requires a strong arm.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have a friend who went to a pro shop about a week ago to look at a monster. The dealer set up the bow for Danny to shoot and on the first shot he hadn't got all the way drawn and the sring came off the cam. I saw on archery talk where that has happened a little more than I like to see. I am a switchback shooter and love a mathews bow. I wanted to get a monster and now thimk I may put it off until I can do more research. Has anyone else on here seen or heard of this happening?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by crenshaw
Its not a bow for everyone, I personally shot just about every bow on the market, and i purchased a monster, It works for me. I like the harder draw, lets me know im back, also people talking about shock are funny, put a dead stop and stabalizer and you aint feeling much of anything, if so i think its your head. I also find it funny comparing the PSE to it, they look alike yes but the cams are completely different. I do find if funny how a lot of people dont like Mathews if there not shooting one, but Mathews fans always remain faithful and dont curse other bows as much, or maybe thats all i read. Either way the bow shoots well, very fast, Yes, but i think the best quality about the bow is very accurate, i have been shooting for 15yrs and it is by far the most consistant bow. Its quiet and it is a versitile bow, at least for me. Its a bow i can use for 3D, whitetails and Elk, with out changing a thing. I had some initial issues with the set up, but that was my pro shops fault not the bow, once i got that under control i am extremely happy with the bow. This bow is not for the guy that struggles pulling a string though, it is a hard drawcycle and requires a strong arm.
And if you arent a he-man like crenshaw, just drop the poundage out a bit, and most likely you will still be faster with it than with your previous bow at 10#'s heavier
A 60# Monster will shoot as fast (with the same arrow) as most of the fastest bows that are at 70#'s.

Derek
Old 08-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have been selling plenty of them at the shop with nothing but praise so far -customers love them. (XLR8 and regular monsters). The only complaint I can really make is the toughness of the draw force curve-and moreso the way they will rip your arm out of your socket letting down. That said, it draws nicer than the Omens we just got in (apples to apples) and speeds are pretty much same-same.

In fact it's kind of funny- I didn't care for the demo Monster at the shop- saw "issues" but the production models are excellent and they ironed out the issues (same prob with the early Reezens-current models are worlds better than the first bows). The Omen is the exact opposite-I absolutely loved the Demo bow the rep brought by, production models we got in last week totally turned me off - and I was ready to lay down the cash for one.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw
And if you arent a he-man like crenshaw, just drop the poundage out a bit, and most likely you will still be faster with it than with your previous bow at 10#'s heavier
A 60# Monster will shoot as fast (with the same arrow) as most of the fastest bows that are at 70#'s.

Derek
thanks for calling me He-man ill take that as a compliment. But what i was getting at is like what others have said, the draw cycle is a bit rough, not like a round cam single cam bow. So it pays to be prepared for it, even at 60lbs.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

i shot one.. big change from the smooth draw of the switchback xt i am currently shooting.
i didn't think it was bad, but night and day compared to current. I'll be sticking w/ my XT for now until something really gets me excited like the XT did when it came out...
I think all of today's bows are very nice bows... all brands are top shelf... everyone is going to have their own preference as to what feels better and more comfortable in their hands.