Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Need help deciding on a aarow rest and sights >

Need help deciding on a aarow rest and sights

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Need help deciding on a aarow rest and sights

Old 04-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need help deciding on a aarow rest and sights

mic,
Read this months issue of " Peterson' s Bowhunting" with regard to " fall-away" rests.
They are the way to go. Pick the one that suits your budget and take advantage of the technological advances in design. You can shoot any type of fletching, they are easy to tune and remove most of the negative results from things like torquing your bow.
Sights are basically a case of " you-get-what-you-pay-for" , like most things in life.
You will need to decide what application you sight need to perform; hunting, 3-D, target. Some sights advertise that they are " hybrid" (hunting/3-D) sights...but are usually better suited to one or the other. If you want to shoot 3-D you may want to check out the IBO web page to find out the restriction in the class you are interested in.
The " no-peep" is the best thing to happen to my game of archery! This device is mounted on your riser either under or over your sight and in a nut shell...forces you to have perfect form. I put mine on 2 weeks ago and absolutly had an epiphany in my back yard shooting range! Go to timberlinearchery.com to read more!
Hope this helps.
Good luck and Good Hunting
Old 04-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Spike

The No Peep:
The No Peep looks like a little tube with a magnifying lense on the front and a fiber optic piece running the length of it and perpendicular to the lense. The magnifying lense causes a lot of distortion on the image you see when you look at it so once you have it set correctly, you can tell when you' re not anchored right.
This device attaches to your bow where you can see it in your peripheral vision while aiming your bow at the target. You align the no peep so you can see a black dot with a green circle around it when you are at a comfortable full draw with the string touching your nose and your release hand at a comfortable consistent anchor point.
When you draw your bow again, you won' t see the dot in the green circle unless you anchor exactly as you did when you set the peep in place originally. All this device does is ensure that you draw your bow consistently every time.
To aim your bow, you draw back, glance at the no peep to ensure proper anchor, place the correct pin on the target and release the string. I stopped looking at my no-peep after a few shots because you also learn through muscle memory when you have the right anchor.
It takes some getting used to but I pulled my peep off the first day and I don' t plan on going back to it. I hear people that use both with really good results as well.
I hope this helps. Its not as complicated as it sounds.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Typical Buck

Up to yesterday I had only shot distances of 10 yards with my No-Peep. Admitidly I was worried about my forst shots at 20 yards or more.

I needen' t have worried though; my first four shots were POOR[X(]. But then I settled down . . . the following 15 four shot groups were in the 10 ring on my 3-D target at both 20 and 30 yards.

It took a bit of doing but I have finally learned to check my No-Peep for proper alignment then ignore it [actually when I do the No-Peep is visible in my periferal vision.

I am more than well pleased with my whole set up . . . bring on the Elk and Mulies!
I' m ready!
Old 04-27-2003, 07:09 AM

Trophy Taker makes one of the toughest most accurate rest today. Ther very popular with many pros today. It was the best thing in two years I did for my bow.

Copper Jophns makes best pin sight I have seen for the maney.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:02 PM

I' d take a look at the Trophy Ridge combo. A Matrix sight combined with the new Drop Zone rest would be an excellent choice for the hardcore bowhunter. I have tried many different sight and rest combos but the TR system is what I have decided to rig my Mathews Legacy with for the 2003 archery season.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:51 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. Here is what I finall decided on.

Fred Bear Team Realtree Xtreme 32
Whisker buscuit rest
Black Gold Hunter sight

So far have had no problems. I really like the whisker buscuit.

Thanks again.