Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 rest and sights for a new bow >

rest and sights for a new bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

rest and sights for a new bow

Old 11-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Default rest and sights for a new bow

I have been out of the archery business for a few years other than shooting my deer every fall.I just ordered a new bow that should be in next week and need to pick a rest and sights. I thought I was dead set on a whisker biscuit, but am very interested in the drop aways. I really like the Vital Bow Gear sights as they appear indestructible. I also like their drop away as far as the mechanics. I would appreciate any and all input I can get. All the new technology is great, but almost too much to digest.

Thanks in advance!
Marcus
Old 11-03-2005, 03:24 PM

Default RE: rest and sights for a new bow

After further searcing it would appear the the QAD Ultra is the drop away rest to go with.

It is for a Tribute. I look forward to shooting it and giving everyone my thoughts.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:29 PM
Site Bouncer

I will give you my opinion, there are many good sights and rests out there that I'm sure if you do a little reseach you can't go wrong. Mind you my opinions are for a hunting bow only as I do not compete. For the rest both the drop aways and the Biscuit are very good. I like the Whisker Biscuit. Two things stand out about it,1.no moving parts to fail. 2.full capture of the arrow.

It'sjust two less things to worry about. If those areas are not a big deal to you then I think the drop away will suit you fine.

For sights you have even more options and again I will give you myopinion. I have had luck with cobra sights as well as tru-glow. My hunting bowhas a tru-glow 5000 sight. It's a one piece all metal sight with three pins and the 20yd pin is a tritium pin so no need for a light. It's very sturdy with micro adjustments and about $70.00

As you can see I like very simple and reliable components on my hunting bow. The less I need to worry about my bow themore I canthink about thehunt/shot.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:28 AM

thanks bigj12 i appreciate your opinions. i thought i was totally sold on a whisker biscuit again, but i am not sure now. i guess if i do not like the drop away i know there is a great alternative. i do plan on some 3d shooting that is the only reason i am considering a drop away. i am going to look harder at that truglo that you mentioned. thanks!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Site Bouncer

No problem greenhead,

If you shoot 3d I think you will like a dropaway much better. But the tru-glow will work just fine for both. The head is all one piece (guard is not screwed on) and the pins are angledso allpinsare on the sameplane. I would suggest to get the tritium pin, it works great.

Where I hunt (in the forest) the last 15min of hunting gets dark and I noticed that my 30(red) and 40(Yellow) pins (the regular pins) will glow longer than I can see past 20 yards so there is no need for them to be lit at all. But I can still see (and shoot) out to 20yards when the normal pins go dark so the tritium pin 20 (green) works great.

There is no excess light to wash out the target, it just glows like any normal pin. No batteries, no turning it on, no spooking deer, nothing........ just works great.

Great sight and very sturdy. Easy to sight in also.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 PM

I use a QAD Ultrarest for almost oneyear now, I had some issue with the spring tension at the beginning but now it's fixed and It works fine.

The cobra sidewinder 3 pins should be a good choice if you wish to have a pin for long distance. Personnally,for hunting I use a viewmaster extreme pendulum from cobra, as I only shoot at short distance (less than 25 yards), one pin is sufficient.

Hope this helps in you choice
Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 PM

Well I looked hard at the 5000 series truglo sights. It was between that and the Vital Bow Gear 3 pin Trapper. I ended up ordering the Trapper 3 pin and the QAD Ultra rest. Thanks guys for the input!
Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 PM

I looked hard at the 5000 series from Truglo at lunch today. It was between the Truglo or the Vital Bow Gear Trapper 3 pin. I went with the Trapper and the QAD Ultra rest. I appreciate the input guys. I am glad I found this site.