Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 How can I get Climbing stick straps around large trees? >

How can I get Climbing stick straps around large trees?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

How can I get Climbing stick straps around large trees?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How can I get Climbing stick straps around large trees?

Once again after having a difficult time myself I turn to the members of the Huntingnet forum for help!

Now that the snow and cold temperatures have arrived here in Ontario ('with a vengeance',I will add) the deer have changed their travel routes.
So my next course of action was to change my tree standlocations to coordinate with the deer movement.
However in one 'sweet spot' the ONLY tree I can use for the NW wind direction happens to be a HUGE OLD MAPLE...at least three feet (3ft) in diameter.
I struggled [:@]to get the climbing stick straps around, as I could not fold both hands around the tree and get them to meet. So I was swinging the strap with one hand and trying to catch it with the other...man what a pain that turned out to be.
Of course I was fully harnessed as I am not one who takes unnecessary risks.
After an hour of struggle []I got to the top of the stick and then... the hang on stand was next. More agro..but I did eventually got through. Heck, what a job!

This now leads me to question my fellow huntingnet members ,for any 'tricks', recommendations, for getting straps around large trees, when the hands do not meet to transfer the strapto bring it around to the other side to complete a connection?
I love the tree as it's wider than me and I'll certainly be lost in the eyes of the deer (hopefully)...but how can I get those straps around the tree without all thet agro .
I was thinking all night last night to come up with something...haven't seen any accessory out there that will help, maybe someone can make a few $$ designing something that works.
Any ideas?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Spike

Default RE: How can I get Climbing stick straps around large trees?

ive struggled with the same type of trees and found that if i tie my rope around the hook on the straps i can easily throw the rope around the tree and makes setting up fast and simple
Old 11-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 1 gripe about my Gorilla climbing sections is that the straps are not made for large tree's. Since they're not actual ratchets though, longer replacements are relatively inexpensive.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ampahunter

Once again after having a difficult time myself I turn to the members of the Huntingnet forum for help!

Now that the snow and cold temperatures have arrived here in Ontario ('with a vengeance',I will add) the deer have changed their travel routes.
So my next course of action was to change my tree standlocations to coordinate with the deer movement.
However in one 'sweet spot' the ONLY tree I can use for the NW wind direction happens to be a HUGE OLD MAPLE...at least three feet (3ft) in diameter.
I struggled [:@]to get the climbing stick straps around, as I could not fold both hands around the tree and get them to meet. So I was swinging the strap with one hand and trying to catch it with the other...man what a pain that turned out to be.
Of course I was fully harnessed as I am not one who takes unnecessary risks.
After an hour of struggle []I got to the top of the stick and then... the hang on stand was next. More agro..but I did eventually got through. Heck, what a job!

This now leads me to question my fellow huntingnet members ,for any 'tricks', recommendations, for getting straps around large trees, when the hands do not meet to transfer the strapto bring it around to the other side to complete a connection?
I love the tree as it's wider than me and I'll certainly be lost in the eyes of the deer (hopefully)...but how can I get those straps around the tree without all thet agro .
I was thinking all night last night to come up with something...haven't seen any accessory out there that will help, maybe someone can make a few $$ designing something that works.
Any ideas?
Sorry to say, but that's how I have done it in the past. Can't say I've ever come up with a decent answer either.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The way both Matt / PA and I do it when we're hanging sticks is to build them as we push them up... in other words, we start with the top section, insert that into the section below it, and push it up the tree. We then insert the next one below the newly assembled section, push it up, and keep going.

When we get the whole set assembled and pushed up the tree, we strap the bottom section down good and tight, and then take the strap for the next section and step up onto that one and secure that one. If you keep doing this until all the sections are strapped on, you'll never be climbing a section that's not secured by all the sectionsbelow. Easy as pie, really... though I may not be making it sound that way.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg, getting the climbing stick up against is not the problem. That I can do...getting the straps around the tree is when the problemstarts. (Large trees). Smaller trees both hands meet and the strap is passed from one hand to the other. The tree I'm talking about here is a old huge maple at least 3 feet in diameter at the bottom, the straps are barely long enough to go around the tree, and trying to get the strap end from one hand to the other is a wretch.
I'm like swinging/pendulum the strap and trying to catch with with the other hand...not easy and takes forever.
I was hoping thatthere is aneasy way to get this done!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ampahunter

Greg, getting the climbing stick up against is not the problem. That I can do...getting the straps around the tree is when the problem starts. (Large trees). Smaller trees both hands meet and the strap is passed from one hand to the other. The tree I'm talking about here is a old huge maple at least 3 feet in diameter at the bottom, the straps are barely long enough to go around the tree, and trying to get the strap end from one hand to the other is a wretch.
I'm like swinging/pendulum the strap and trying to catch with with the other hand...not easy and takes forever.
I was hoping that there is an easy way to get this done!!!
The only thing I can think of is get some long straps, wrap them around the tree when you're on the ground and leave them long enough so that you can climb with them attached to both sides of your harness. once you get to the part where you need to put a strap unhook one end from your harness and put it on the sticks, and do the same for the other side. make you don't drop one end though, or else you will have to do what you were doing. I'm not sure how well that would work (since I've never tried it), but it's the best thing I could think of.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

The "swing and grab" has always been my approach.

Just some ramblings of an idle mind, but if the tree is too big to reach around, you could try to use one of those multi section bow hangers to extend your reach.

Once you are up the tree, screw it in and leave it for you upcoming hunt.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I fought the same thing last year. Heck, one of the trees I set up in was so big, I had to use 2 straps on each section of stick. It wore me outsetting that stand up honestly, and then to top it off I didn't see squat out of it LOL

I don't think there is an easy way to do it. The only thing that could help imo, would be to have a partner with you with a extension ladder on the backside to assist you. I have very few trees like this where I hunt, so I dont have that issue much.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

tie on another strap to the strap you are swinging which makes it double the length and then try to throw it around the tree, thats what i do, its still somewhat difficult but its much easier than with just one strap

Quick Reply: How can I get Climbing stick straps around large trees?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.