Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Left Hand Bow

Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Left Hand Bow

My 14 year old left handed son is wanting a bow. I think this would be a niceX-mas present. I have poked around some websites with little luck and in and out of e-bay every few months. I want to step up my search. Any leads on where to find agood youth left handed bow?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Left Hand Bow

When I was looking for a new bow I saw many on e-bay. Nice bows, Mathews etc for pretty cheap and all set up. My local pro shop had some cheap also but most of them are not set up. Youth bows seam to be pretty cheap. Depending on how old he is and what he is able to pull I would way your options on whether or not to just go with a 60 pound adult bow. just my opinion. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

If he is already 14 see if you cant find him an adult bow that has an adjustable draw length. This way he can grow into it and the bow can be lengthened as needed. The growth spurt is just around the corner and he will need a longer draw length as well be able to pull more poundage. I have a left handed Hoyt Vetrix but it has only 1 draw length at 28 inches so this would not be a good choice.

Maybe you could take him to a reputable pro shop and let him shoot as many bows in your price range as possible. He may get a clue as to what he will be getting but at least you can be as close to a customized fit as possible. If all works well the perfect bow would fit him until its time to upgrade, I would think you could find him something that would fit until age 18 or even older. Maybe I am being a little to optimistic but this is what I would try and do since he is left handed, find one that’s right and you know that you made the correct choice.

I wish I had some specific makes and models but I don’t at this time. Good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldnt get a youth, not sure how big your kid is, but im sure he will want a bow he can grow with. Im lefthanded as well and I know Mathews makes just about every bow in lefthanded. I also know if you go to a Mathews dealer sometimes they can get discontinued bows that are sitting in the warehouse at Mathews for cheap, I got my friend an Outbackmodel bownew last season, my pro shop called Mathews and they sent him one they had in storage and it cost a lot less then a new model. What ever bow you decide on I would get one that can be adjusted, this time next year your kid could be 20lbs larger and 6 inches taller.