Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 The General or the 82nd Airborne? >

The General or the 82nd Airborne?

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

The General or the 82nd Airborne?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 PM

Default RE: The General or the 82nd Airborne?

I have the 2007 Allegiance (2008 has slight modifications, nothing substantial). Great bow, throws darts. Only flaw is that the weight they took out in the riser seems to increase the hand shock and noise. The newere bows with the suppressor are a lot more quiet, but, I still love my Allegiance and would recommend one (just not overall the 82nd, 101st).
Old 09-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

There 'is' a gap between the General and 82nd.
Other than their respective bow specs...the draw cycle on the 82nd does not have that 'bump' just before the wall. The 82nd does however have a slight resistance at the beginning of the draw cycle.
Keeping 'in mind' the General limbs produced prior to July 17th, 2008does have some integrity issues, you will be at immediate advantage opting for the 82nd. My opinion.
The 82nd however is a bow that will not allow you to 'flinch' without paying the price on the target! the General is much more forgiving.
HOWEVER, if your form is consistant, your hold is steady,your triggering is smooth, your follow-thru spot on... then the 82nd should be your bow of choice.
The SPEED on the 82nd is very impressive, fulfilling and leaves no room for anything else.
The trajectory of your arrows will be much morelinear exiting the 82nd and the kenetic is overwhelming.
This bow (82nd) IS a nail driver...if you are able to perfect the 82nd, you'll have this bow in your arsenal for a long time to come. You'll honestly love this bow.
In my mind, the General is a bow for someone who is NOT as ADVERTUROUS, or maybe, up to the challenge, i.e. practise, practise and more practise.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:01 AM

Wow, what a wild question! Just because the specs between the two that you mentioned are so completely different. I guess if you want a good tree stand bow to hunt with in timber than the General would get my vote. However, I do like the previously mentioned suggestion for the Allegiance.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ampahunter

There 'is' a gap between the General and 82nd.
Other than their respective bow specs...the draw cycle on the 82nd does not have that 'bump' just before the wall. The 82nd does however have a slight resistance at the beginning of the draw cycle.
Keeping 'in mind' the General limbs produced prior to July 17th, 2008does have some integrity issues, you will be at immediate advantage opting for the 82nd. My opinion.
The 82nd however is a bow that will not allow you to 'flinch' without paying the price on the target! the General is much more forgiving.
HOWEVER, if your form is consistant, your hold is steady,your triggering is smooth, your follow-thru spot on... then the 82nd should be your bow of choice.
The SPEED on the 82nd is very impressive, fulfilling and leaves no room for anything else.
The trajectory of your arrows will be much morelinear exiting the 82nd and the kenetic is overwhelming.
This bow (82nd) IS a nail driver...if you are able to perfect the 82nd, you'll have this bow in your arsenal for a long time to come. You'll honestly love this bow.
In my mind, the General is a bow for someone who is NOT as ADVERTUROUS, or maybe, up to the challenge, i.e. practise, practise and more practise.
that is why im getting an 82nd as well^i think i will do even better with it or a 101st on the field than i do with my general. not saying the general is limiting me, but i think one of the airbornes will be more suitable for it.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Spike

WOW, thanks for all of the replies! I took the advise and shot both bows, I found that both were similar in quietness and comfort, among other things. However I could not get over how fast the 82nd was. I liked the General because it is a perfect treestand bow, but it is not as impressive as the 82nd. So after a long drawn out process I purchased the 82nd Airborne. The only thing that I didn't like about the 82nd was that it is about 5" longer than the General, but that was not enough to stop me from chosing it. By the way, straight off the shelf and with smooth mods., the 82nd hit 302 fps on the chrono. @ 65 lbs. After some adjustments I think I can get itin the320's.

The dealer that I talked to said that he has only sold about 11 Generals and of those 11, 4 of the owners were not happy with it, saying that it was just too slow. He has sold about 80 of the 82nd Airborne, with no complaints.

Thanks again!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

wow, my dealer cant keep the generals on the shelf. i dont care what anybody says though, im getting an 82nd for target but i love the general. another bow that i shot that i really liked was the dxt. for hunting it would be awesome.
anyways, good luck
Derek
Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Spike

got a 82 3 weeks ago! took a bit getting use to but shooting flat and accurate out to 40 meters. really like the bow but then also like speed from a bow. if u can put up with the hard draw its a pleasure to shoot. love the general but bit on the heavy side!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:50 PM

the general is the is very quite but the the 82nd has the speed