Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Muzzy Phantom

Old 02-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default Muzzy Phantom

Has anyone here used them before and what do they think of them? I have been shooting the NAP Razorbaks but the Muzzys are about ten bucks cheaper and basically the same shaped broadhead. The Razorbaks have the "rotating head technology" but I think that is more gimmick then anything.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Muzzy Phantom

I'm sure the Muzzy Phantom will work famously for you. Fred Eichler has torture tested these on some of thetoughest game on earth.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

A bunch of my friends hunt with them and they are excellent heads. Great blood trails. I always struggled with consistent flight, so I gave up, but in the hands of someone who really knows how to fine tune a bow, I think they are a very good choice.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used them and shot some deer and pigs with them.

This one didn't fair so well on the sows leg bone. But I doubt any COC head would have done any better.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Holy cow Dave, that is quite the picture, those pigs sure are built tough. despite the bent main blade did it make a clean kill?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:03 PM

I shoot them with my recurve. I haven't hunted with them yet, but they group with my feild points in a target. They seem like the ticket for me.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've got a pack hanging on my wall I'm itching to try out some time next year... But then again, I just got in 10 more packs of MX-3's today too, so it may be a while...

I got some for Matt / PA last year, and it's what he brought down his trad-tackle PA behometh with.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shared hunting camp with a guy who used them last year. He shot a doe and never did find her but the bleader blades on the phantom pushed back into the arrow, cut right into the shaft.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

Holy cow Dave, that is quite the picture, those pigs sure are built tough. despite the bent main blade did it make a clean kill?
Yes, a clean kill on that one. IfI remember right it was the off side leg bone after a quartering away pass thru. Funny thing was she wasn't that big, maybe 80-100#.

This season I squared one true from 18' up with the phantom and never found her. I jumped her twice but had to give up when my flashlights were running out. I'm not sure how she made it but she did.

I killed another sow on the same hunt and hit her high with a 2 blade rage and found her with no problem, she left the famous blind man blood trail you always hear about- even though I hit her higher than I'd like to.

The buck in my avatar also fell victim to a phantom, but it's shot was dead on and we all know deer are easier to kill than hogs .