Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

101 compared to General

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM

Default RE: 101 compared to General

i shot every bow out there i could get my hands on mathews ,hoyt, parker, pse and then the genaral , the 82th, the 101, the are all great bows it just came down to what felt the best to me and the same for you, but with that said the 101 is simply an awsome choice if it fits you
Old 02-05-2008, 06:33 PM

I know I should really go with the General, it feels great, balance is nice, short ATA, and stupid quiet.

But on the flipside, I think I want a significant step up over what I have right now, but don't know if I want to go with the large bow again (which is still shorter than my current bow)

I flip flop daily on the pros and cons, fortunately I have till April to hammer this out, maybe even longer if the snow isn't out of the backyard by then.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

When people say "one pin out to 30" they are ALWAYS holding that pin just a tad higher at 30 yards, or they are shooting an inch or two low.

In order to shoot one pin out to 30 yards with NO compensation and be +/- 1 inch, your arrow would have to be traveling at least 350 fps. (according to OnTarget software). If that's the goal, neither bow would accomplish this unless your arrow was lighter than 5 gpp.

I shoot 260 fps and use one pin from zero to thirty. I sight in at 26 yards. At 16 yards I am 2.65" high (apex of trajectory) and at 30 yards I'm 2.5" low. Beyond 30 yards it really starts to drop fast and it's just a guess.

If the shot is close (ie 20 yards or less) I hold about 2" low. If the shot is long (ie 28 - 31 yards) I'll hold 2" high. I'm always right where I want to be on a 3d target using this method. Anything in between 20 and 28 I just hold right on the spot.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 AM

Regardless of anything else, if the setup's are the same, you'll get more KE from a 101st.That saidthe difference in KE between the 2 bows is in all likelyhood goingto bethe distance your arrow burries itself in the dirt after passing thru. If the General feels better to you, go for it!! You'll definatly not be under bowed.

I think a lot, maybe too much has been made of the General's speed. If anyone other than Bowtech came out with it, it's IBO wouldn't be nearly the issue it is. I haven't shot mine thru a chrono yet, but it sure seems to cover the backyardjust as quick as my Ally does with the same arrow. Don't get too wrapped up in 10-15 fps and the corresponding KE, get the bow that feels the best to YOU, the one that you can shoot the best.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

But on the flipside, I think I want a significant step up over what I have right now, but don't know if I want to go with the large bow again (which is still shorter than my current bow)
If that is the case, in terms of speed, then the 101st would be the better choice. Even with the speed mods the General won't be a "significant" step up in that regard. It will, however, be a significant step up in terms of shot feel. But you already know that.

QZQ's comments above are what I was referring to. With that speed and the 24-26 sight-in you can pretty much shoot at the middle of any kill zone out to about 33 yards and still be within a couple inches of your intended point of impact.