Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

binoculars

Old 12-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Spike

Default binoculars

I've been looking at some new binoculars and was checking out the Nikon Monarchs. What's your opinion on spending a lot of extra money for binoculars? Is it worth it? Or does a cheap pair usually suit you just fine. I have a very cheap pair and have trouble spotting any deer. I was hoping a good pair of binoculars might help in spot and stalking efforts to find the bedded down deer. Thanks
Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Default RE: binoculars

I just bought a set of 8x42 ATB's.....All I'll say is this. You don't know what you've been missing till you're looking through good glass. They are worth the money.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive hadthe 10x42 ATB's for two years now and they are one of the best set of binos for the money. I think I paid around $300 which is pocket change compaired to the quality you get. Other top end brands like steiner,zeiss, and swarski are comparable in quality but 3 times the price.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

The prices are something. Bottom line for me is how are they in bad weather!

Depends on your needs. If you plan on hunting all over the place you need a really good pair. If your just in the woods, not so good.

One things for sure, your wasting time hunting without them. A hundred dollar pair works well in the woods, water and fog proof. You wont be out much if something happens to them either, but they will leave you wanting more. Just depends on how much more's worth to you.

I could never afford a high dollar pair. Fortunetly for me my friends can. Lot of fun using one of them.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Cheap binos hurt your eyes, can have low field of view and can even fog up. A good pair of glasses will last a lifetime, go to an optic store and test them for yourself. I have a midrange pair of Steiner, 10x42 roof prisim, cost around $600. I love them!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DMiller6868

I've been looking at some new binoculars and was checking out the Nikon Monarchs. What's your opinion on spending a lot of extra money for binoculars? Is it worth it? Or does a cheap pair usually suit you just fine. I have a very cheap pair and have trouble spotting any deer. I was hoping a good pair of binoculars might help in spot and stalking efforts to find the bedded down deer. Thanks
I have a pair of the nikon monarchs also10x42's,there ok if I had to do it again they now have some 8,10and12x56mm objective lens the the bigger objective lens is excellent for first and last light they let in more light which alows you to see better images at dawn and dusk which in most cases is when you might miss the big whitetail moving,but if your gonna buy anything bigger than 10power go look through them and make sure you can hold them still enough without moving all over on you,as far as stalking the zeiss or leicas would be a better choice,my boss has a pair of the leicas and the zeiss and the leicas are of better quality of glass hands down,but they are both supurb glass,but for $300.00 or under I think your gonna be hard pressed to find a pair better than the monarch's......Ted