Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Feedback on Reflex Growler >

Feedback on Reflex Growler

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Feedback on Reflex Growler

Old 10-31-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Feedback on Reflex Growler

Just bought a Reflex Growler and am looking for advice or opinions on what gear works for them on this bow (sights, stabilizers, rests, etc...) Have been used to shooting an old Hoyt Gamegetter so I am excited to get it setup and start shooting.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 PM

Default RE: Feedback on Reflex Growler

I just got one two weeks ago. Was looking for a shorter, lighter bow to compliment my 2005 Hoyt Pro Tec (38"); and test drove about 20 bows at the local pro shop. I liked the Reflex Growler and the Hoyt Vectrix about equally - got the Growler for about $300 less.

It has turned out to be a very accurate bow. Lightweight and quiet.Not quite as forgiving as the longer Pro Tec. Speed is pretty good - or, at least, fast enough for me. 261 fps with a 403 gr. arrow at 61 lbs. and 29". Came with a drop away rest that I just replaced with a Whisker Biscuit. Tuned up rather nicely with the center of the arrow shaft .780" out from the shelf, and the bottom of the arrow about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the Berger hole.

I haven't put an STS on it yet, and may not. It is pretty quiet now and I like the weight right where it is. Did install a mini S coil and a G5 Meta peep.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:07 AM

I have had one little "problem" with it, though. I can get ittuned perfectly with a drop away rest, but not with the whisker biscuit. With the WB, no combination of arrow rest height or nocking point adjustment will get rid of a 1/4" low tear. The bow shoots fixed broadheads about 3" lower than field points at 20 yards. Both group great.I'm going to stick with the WB and just live with it - either shoot expandables, or just move the sight down .120" just before hunting season.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Growler is a smooth little bow, you will not be dissapointed! I shot this bow at my buddies shop when they first came out and loved it!!

Roskoe, have you tried different fletches? Maybe they would hit the biscuit different?
I am a drop away fan but i do recognize that th WB has distinct advantages in the field, great rest for stalking, it is what i will be using on my first trip out west my first year out of college.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM

No, haven't tried any different fletchings. I have three other bows with WB's using the 2" Blazers - shooting the same Axis 400 arrows. No issues with them.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't see y this bow would be any different? Maybe it just dosen't like the WB/Blazer combo just like some rifles like different loadings. Just a thought might not be that at all.