Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Bowtechs 08' General

Old 10-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowtechs 08' General

The General seems to be about 10 fps slower then the Gaurdian. Is the lack of speed made up in smoothness?
The speed difference lies in the brace height.......7 1/8" for the Guardian and 8 1/4" for the General. And yes the General is a smoother shooting bow.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

The shot feel of the General could possibly be the "best" out of any bow I have had the privelege to shoot. In this case I use the word "best" in reference to noise level, level or recoil and level of vibration during the shot. The grip style, balance, etc... are, obviously, not going to work for everyone as everyone has different preferences.

Still, if you don't shoot this bow when you are considering some of the high end models then you are doing yourself a disservice.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Wasn't wild about the draw cycle though, It builds beautifully but has quite a hump just before breakover into the valley.
Terry,
I noticed a similar feel on mine, it more or less just drops off pretty suddenly and since it's so different than my other bows it took a few shots to anticipate it and apply the right amount of draw force to keep from just hammering right through it meking it feel odd.
Believe it or not I have heard that the FAST mods actually draw smoother with respect to that breakover. That it's a more mild slide into the valley so I am trying to get my hands on a set to compare.

The shot feel as you said is simply UNREAL.[:-]
Matt, I agree 110% about the draw cycle. Anything you are not used to will feel different, hence most of the time you will not like it as well the first few times you shoot it. Draw cycle is easy to accustom your muscles to if you are not over bowed. That would be my last criteria for choosing a bow

Dan
Old 10-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt, I agree 110% about the draw cycle. Anything you are not used to will feel different, hence most of the time you will not like it as well the first few times you shoot it. Draw cycle is easy to accustom your muscles to if you are not over bowed. That would be my last criteria for choosing a bow

Dan
That and I am hypersensitive because of how much I've been shooting recurves lately. LOLNot much let off or break over there.
After shooting it fora couple days the sensation is completely gone and the bow draws smoothly and evenly. It's amazing how quickly the body adapts like that. I think because with my recurve and longbow the draw obviously gets toughests right at the end so I was just flat out powering right into and through the breakover on the General and it felt funky.........now it feels sweet as pie. Amazing.

What a seriously awesome shooting bow though geez.......and I don't even have my draw length mods or the fast ones yet. I can't wait to get it up 1/2" and those fast mods. I'll snag probably another 10-12fps in the process too which will give me a little more peace of mind with those 700lb IL bruisers.

Oh and Dan I'll honk th ehorn on the interstate when I'm coming through in 2 Fridays. Tell me the mile marker and I'll lay on the horn.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:12 PM

Hello everyone, new to this forum, but just wanted to say I hope the new General is all everyone is saying it is, because I just ordered a new one in Mossy Oak Brush and sold my 06 Tribute. Good Hunting everyone.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, so I have shot them both twice now because I thought with all the feedback I must be feeling something different. My 2 cents on the General vs the Guardian,

The General does have less hand shock (small difference), but is slower, the draw cycle seems to be harsher, and a hard break over into not much valley. And believe it or not I think the General is louder than the guardian do to the string "Snap" when it hits the new Bowtech STS.

And last but not least the General needs a Bow press where the Guardian does not.

Am I alone in these feelings?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Dan
That and I am hypersensitive because of how much I've been shooting recurves lately. LOLNot much let off or break over there.
After shooting it fora couple days the sensation is completely gone and the bow draws smoothly and evenly. It's amazing how quickly the body adapts like that. I think because with my recurve and longbow the draw obviously gets toughests right at the end so I was just flat out powering right into and through the breakover on the General and it felt funky.........now it feels sweet as pie. Amazing.

What a seriously awesome shooting bow though geez.......and I don't even have my draw length mods or the fast ones yet. I can't wait to get it up 1/2" and those fast mods. I'll snag probably another 10-12fps in the process too which will give me a little more peace of mind with those 700lb IL bruisers.

Oh and Dan I'll honk th ehorn on the interstate when I'm coming through in 2 Fridays. Tell me the mile marker and I'll lay on the horn.
It's about mile marker 130. If I'm on the interstate side of the woods I'll Wave

Dan
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I saw one of these last night and ...Wow... was it quite. The bowshop owner (typically a Hoyt guy) said it was the most unbelievable bow he'd ever shot. Asked me if I wanted to shoot it... I said no because if I shoot it I would want it!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM

The dealer in Canon City, after saying he was not going to sell his General demo bow, sold it to a guy from Kansas last week. I guess they argues a bit . . . and then the guy just started laying down #100 bills until the dealer said "Stop!".
Old 11-02-2007, 12:22 PM

why is everyone so hyped up about buying new bows. I have jennings starmaster that i got off ebay for 150$ and its shooting 280 fps right now...does adding 20-30 fps and some KE really make that big of a difference?

BTW...with added Sims equipment my bow is in fact quieter then my buddies XT.

not shure on what all the hype is for going out and spending upwards of a thousand dollars just for cool looks and added fastness...never really got me.

Quick Reply: Bowtechs 08' General

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.