Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Good Hunting Knife?

Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Good Hunting Knife?

I bought a Case Hunting Knife at a gun show 25 years ago and still carry it on my side on all hunts. It's always handled any task and stays sharp for a tough job or is touched-up in moments with a small 4 in. diamond steel I carry in my pack. I've also carried the same Schrade, model 293 (Waldon, N.Y. USA) double folding knife for the last 35+ years in my Right front pocket.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:59 PM
dws

You really can't go wrong with a Buck, Gerber or Shrade. They are all reasonably priced for what you get. If your like most people you'll probably lose one before you could wear it out.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gerber ... Nuff said
Old 08-26-2007, 07:50 PM

I went to REI and tried about 10different 3"-5" folding Knives in the paper slicing test. All the knives I tried were sturdy. Gerbers were universally the dullest. Bucks were universally the sharpest.

Then I went to walmart and picked up a Kershaw Storm II.

http://kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=99

It lists for $60 but Walmart has it for 29.99.

It is the sharpest knife I've ever held. And I have a set of very good wusthoff cooking knives. In the paper slicing test I was surprised at how cleanly and easily it cut. Then I tried it on the Bass Pro Fall Hunting classic circular and was astonished to find that it cleanly sliced right through the whole thing without "pushing" any of the pages. I actually get a little dizzy when I hold the thing open because it's like a freaking light saber and I'm afraid of losing an arm.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

I think Buck is the only still "MADE IN AMERICA" Knife.Schrade factory which I pass on the way to my hunting grounds closed down last year. Not made here anymore if still being made at all. I used to think Gerbers were and all my old ones were but now alotare being made in China/Taiwan. Got a one piece gerber three years ago, a freeman caping model just to gut deer cuz I hated when all the blood got into the folding action of my knives butonly realized afterwards that it was made in china and that lots of their stuff is now made there.Buck 110 folder is probably the best value out there but a little old fashioned for some people. I will say that mybuck 110 has been lent out to at least 4 guys with supposed super sharptactical knives which couldn't cut butter after two minutes with a deer. They are all amazed when they see that oldstyle traditional knife keep cutting and cutting. At least two of them now have bucks while the other two still think they need "tactical"(whatever that mean)knives for when they might need to "bug out". We keep a real good eye on those two. take care.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 PM

The Kershaw says made in the USA.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Gerber says Made in America aswell. Don't think that means Made in China.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Spike

I have several that I have used over the years but my favorite was a buck Vanguard with a rubber handle. It kept a good edge and I had no problems with it slipping.

I recently bought a Case XX ridgeback caper model and also have a Gerber gut hook that is a fine knife. My step brother swears by Gerber knives.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:38 PM

Gerber is the only knife i trust. My all time favorite hunting knife took me 2 years to track down. Its from the 60-70's. Gerber made a run of knives with "armorhide" handles. They are simply the best hunting knives I've ever tried. I have all kinds Case, Buck, Browning, but none stack up to the vintage gerbers. I've been very patient and extremely lucky to get all but one of the whole set in new in the box condition. They come with an amazing edge and hold it forever, and when it comes to touch up its about 2 strokes on a gerber sportsmans steel from the same era and its back to slicing through hide and meat alike.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

2 years ago i got a winchester knife with a gut hook. This knife is by far the best knife i have ever baught and it keeps its edge. I have seen them at walmart for like 17.99 and at rural king for 21.99 i highly recomend the knife i am about to buy a new one just so i can have two of them

Quick Reply: Good Hunting Knife?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.