Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Rocket/Trophy Ridge Ultimate steel >

Rocket/Trophy Ridge Ultimate steel

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Rocket/Trophy Ridge Ultimate steel

Old 12-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rocket/Trophy Ridge Ultimate steel

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this Broadhead as far as kills?

I see that the cut is only 7/8 of an inch. Has this caused any problems for anyone?

My local Gander Mtn has them on sale $19/ 6 pak.

I thought that was a pretty good deal or is it?

I've read that they have great penetrationbut that small cut has me concerned.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rocket/Trophy Ridge Ultimate steel

I've been shooting these for a couple years. They fly awesome, exactly like my field pts. I'm not 100% sold on them though, yet. Yes, they do penetrate extremely well and are a very tough head. But I personally haven't had a good blood trail to follow since I started using them. The last deer I shot with them had the exit hole get plugged with hair so the blood trail was minimal at best. Btut a friend of mine uses them also and had no problems on the deer he shot this year. With that said, I'm not ready to give up on them. When you stop to think about it, these blades have 7/8" diameter vs 1 1/8" for many other 100gr 3 blade heads. That's a diff of only 1/4", which seems like a very small difference. $19 for 6 is a great deal. Might be worth trying.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Windwalker,

Thanks for your interest in the Steelheads. I personally started shooting the 100's this year, among others and I like them. That price is awesome.

I shot one doe this year from 28 yards, slighty quartering to. The arrow took out one lung, smashed the liver, and ABSOLUTELY DECIMATED the opposite thigh bone - I mean total jelly.

I had a excellent bloodtrail.

Accuracy obviously is outstanding and they tune easy. All around great head.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:53 PM

I tried these out for a while about 3 years and the blades kept falling out so I quit using them. They may have changed the design and may be great now.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took my first 26 or 27 deer with Rockets... Obviously, I love the way they fly.Moreso,I love the blood trails and the devastating wound channels I get with them, but I usually shoot Miniblasters with Pathfinder points (they now make that as a production head now; I think it's called the Slammerhead), which gives me a 1 3/4" cutting diameter.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I am very pleased with the Rocket Steelheads 100's. I have killed my last dozen or so bucks with these and have had excellent results. I get good exit holes and decent blood trails which is what you want. Until I have a reason to change I won't.